Hamburg ranked as the best place in the WORLD for a night out, with New York 10th and London not even making the top 20
- Hamburg ranked highly for having friendly people and excellent transport links?
- German city was also praised for quality of nightlife as well as affordability?
- Other highly?ranked cities included Copenhagen, Berlin, Dublin and Amsterdam
- But ?London, Tokyo and Rome fared badly due to the cost and poor transport?
Hamburg has been ranked as the best night out in the world, beating the likes of New York and Dublin, while London doesn't even make the top 20.
A major new study ranks 41 major cities in 27 countries based on five categories, including the quality of the nightlife, friendliness of the locals, safety, transport and cost after asking local residents their opinions.?
And it's Germany's second biggest city that rates best after topping two of the five categories in the survey and rating very highly in the others.
Germany's second largest city, Hamburg, which has been rated as the world's best night out by new research
It is praised for having open and friendly people and excellent transport links moving people between key destinations.
The quality of its nightlife also rates highly based on the nocturnal activities available and people's general enjoyment.
Other highly rated cities include Copenhagen, which came in second, as well as Berlin (third), Dublin (fourth) and Amsterdam (fifth).
The rest of the top ten is comprised of San Francisco, Gothenburg, Prague, Warsaw and New York.
A table showing how major cities around the world were ranked when it came to the five factors that make a good night out?
San Francisco and New York are the only non-European cities to make it into the top ten.
However, major cities such as London, Tokyo and Rome fare badly in the research with all three failing to make it in the top 20.
Tokyo is slammed for its poor transport links and value for money, London also scored badly on affordability, while Rome is criticised for being difficult to get around.
The research, carried out by online hostel booking service HostelWorld, also found the cost of a typical night out varies a great deal across the world with the cheapest cities named as Prague, Warsaw, Pretoria, St Petersburg and Mumbai.
Second cities beat major cities in almost every country - Hamburg beat Berlin, San Francisco beat New York, Milan beat Rome and Pretoria beat Johannesburg.
These scored better because they are often seen as more compact, convenient and cohesive for a single night out, allowing citizens to enjoy a range of activities without having to travel all over town.?
New Yorkers are the most certain they have the best night out when asked the question directly.
Within the categories, New Yorkers rate their city very highly for food and drink, and fairly well for getting around, but below average for safety, affordability and friendliness.
The Danish capital Copenhagen came in second and most people said it was one of the safest cities for a night out?
Berlin, pictured, came third in the research and was closely followed by Dublin and Amsterdam?
THE BEST PLACES IN THE WORLD FOR A NIGHT OUT
6 San Francisco
10 New York
17 St. Petersburg
27 Kuala Lumpur
33 Mexico City
34 Sao Paulo
38 Rio de Janiero
Globally, northern Europe scores very highly - it contains 10 of the top 12 top cities.
Marek Mossakowski, Global Head of Brand at Hostelworld, said: 'The results of this study have been fascinating, especially the performance of smaller cities – most notably with Hamburg taking top spot over Berlin.
'We know young travellers are increasingly venturing off the beaten track to uncover unique experiences, and this study demonstrates this.'?
Most watched News videos
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
- Horrifying moment dashcam shows lorry ploughing into two cars
- Moment thrill seeking base jumpers leap from 530ft Beachy Head
- Sir Elton on stage in Barcelona just hours before his mother died
- Nigel Farage defends Donald Trump retweeting Britain First
- Heartbreaking footage shows helpless puppies rescued from tar
- Knife-wielding moped robbers raid building on Fleet Street
- DUP leader lashes out at Irish government over Belfast agreement
- Earl Kimrey charged with the death of 3-year-old Mariah Miller