Royally good: Lufthansa to launch a business class cabin on its Boeing 777-9s with gigantic throne-style middle seats
- The bed lengths, Lufthansa says, will be up to 220cm (86.6 inches)?
- The cabin, for the Boeing 777-9, will come in a 1-2-1/1-1-1 seat configuration ?
- This configuration means that all of the seats will have direct access to the aisle?
It's seating fit for royalty.?
Lufthansa has unveiled the brand new design of its business class cabin with dramatic throne-style middle seats the most eye-catching aspect of it.
The German airline says these seats will offer passengers twice as much desk space.
An artist's impression of the new 'throne-style' middle seats on Lufthansa's first class cabin?
On the down side, they will have less privacy and will be slightly shorter than the others in the cabin when in the lie-flat position, but by how much isn't known yet.
The bed lengths, Lufthansa says, will be up to 220cm (86.6 inches).?
'The seats [throughout],' says Lufthansa, 'have been developed with the goal of facilitating the best and soundest sleep up above the clouds.'
It adds that the construction of the back rest makes it possible for the shoulder to sink in when you are lying on your side. 'This keeps the spine straight,' the airline says, 'and makes it possible for side sleepers to also benefit from ideally healthy and relaxing sleep.'
On request, passengers will also be provided with sleeping sweaters. So far, these have only been available in first class. Lufthansa will also be offering its business class passengers new blankets that are 'lined but still light' and 'will?keep the passengers warm at night'.?
The seats, which have been designed exclusively for Lufthansa, are set to be available on all of the carrier's regular routes from 2020 and will coincide with the roll-out of the Boeing 777-9, which has a wider cabin than its predecessors.??
The cabin will come in a 1-2-1/1-1-1 seat configuration, meaning everyone will have direct access to the aisle, so you will never have to disturb your neighbouring passenger if you want to nip to the loo or stretch your legs.
The new configuration of the cabin means that all seats have direct access to the aisle?
Meanwhile, technology on board will be cutting edge. It is a German airline, after all.
It said: 'All the functions of the seat as well as the in-flight entertainment system can be controlled using the passenger’s personal device. Smartphones and tablets can be recharged at the seat using wireless technology. And in the future, anyone who wants to watch one of the movies from the extensive entertainment program will experience the blockbusters on much larger screens, in full HD.'
Lufthansa executive Harry Hohmeister said: 'The new, ultra-modern Lufthansa business class creates a new global benchmark. It offers our passengers a unique travel experience.
'We have consistently and continuously refined our range of premium products for our guests and modernised Lufthansa. Our focus is and has always been on the wishes of our customers and their specific needs.
'We want to provide them with the perfect travel experience. The new business class showcases the full innovative capacity of Lufthansa.'
However, Lufthansa isn't the only airline to install the throne seats on its fleet.
Others with the seats include Malaysia Airlines, Swiss International Airlines, Finnair and Brussels Airlines.
Most watched News videos
- Moment hawk steals two 14 day old robins from their nest
- Grumpy sheep with a temper charges and head-butts a dog
- PM says UK is leaving the single market but EU trade continues
- Dutch air force fighters captured flying over Death Valley
- Taking a plunge! Outdoor yoga ends with woman falling in river
- Young girl nearly decapitated by cables dragged by lorry
- World largest propeller plane Antonov AN22 flies over Manchester
- Emotional moment mother whale holds dead new-born
- Shocking footage shows car hitting two mums stood with pushchairs
- Top three travel hacks: How to prepare for holiday packing
- Tiger shark swims just meters away from oblivious paddlers
- Boyfriend removes shoe before proposal to save 'creasing his sneaker'