Philippe Coutinho told he's not joining Barcelona by ex-Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher during TV interview
- Philippe Coutinho has been a long-term target for Spanish giants Barcelona
- Liverpool have repeatedly insisted that Coutinho will not be leaving Anfield
- Jamie Carragher's phone rang during interview and there were jokes it was Barca
- But Carragher reacted quickly and insisted Coutinho would not be going
- Liverpool pair played together for six months near the end of Carragher's career
The Liverpool great was speaking to the Brazilian and former striker Jan Aage Fjortoft after Coutinho scored a hat-trick during the 7-0 victory against Spartak Moscow on Wednesday evening.
But Carragher's phone rang during the interview, interrupting the flow of the conversation with his former team-mate. The pair played together for the last six months of Carragher's career.
Jamie Carragher's phone rang during an interview with Philippe Coutinho on Norwegian TV
There were jokes it was Barcelona, but the Liverpool great said Coutinho could not leave
Carragher quickly silenced his phone and showed his embarrassment as he waited for Fjortoft to react.
The ex-Swindon Town man tried to cut through the awkward silence by joking: 'It's probably Barcelona, it's Barcelona!'
Both Carragher and Coutinho laughed at the suggestion from the presenter but it was the former defender who reacted quickest.
He managed to cause more laughter from the trio when he confidently said, 'No, he's staying!', in response to Fjortoft's suggestion.
Coutinho scored a hat-trick for Liverpool on Wednesday night against Spartak Moscow
Coutinho, who was a target for Barcelona in the summer and is expected to be the subject of bids over the next two windows, did not say anything in response to Carragher's joke.
Liverpool have repeatedly insisted that they are not willing to let their star midfielder leave the club, despite a summer transfer request.
Manager Jurgen Klopp showed his faith in Coutinho on Wednesday by handing him the captain's armband.
The 25-year-old was clearly buoyed by the decision as he played a key role in the victory against Spartak, bagging three and helping his team to a storming win.?
He was handed the captain's armband by Jurgen Klopp for the game and impressed
Most watched Sport videos
- Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp insists 7-0 Spartak win was 'not easy'
- Rio Ferdinand works up a sweat with girlfriend Katie Wright
- Spartak boss disappointed following 7-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Speedy recovery: David Luiz running on anti-gravity treadmill
- Jose Mourinho v Pep Guardiola: Tale of the tape
- McGregor and Hamilton join Versace at London Fashion Awards
- Paulo Fonseca delivers on promise to wear Zorro outfit after win
- Chelsea 1-1 Atletico Madrid: Antonio Conte press conference
- That's one way to do it! AJ smashes windows for new store opening
- Celtic 0-1 Anderlecht: Brendan Rodgers press conference
- 'Best date ever' Eugenie Bouchard goes on date with fan after bet
- Anthony Joshua goes through rigorous neck exercise routine
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.