Rio Ferdinand works out with girlfriend Kate Wright before taking to the ring for sparring session with boxing coach
- Rio Ferdinand completes session with kettle bell alongside partner Kate Wright
- The former Manchester United star finished early to 'check out' his girlfriend
- Ferdinand then took to the ring to train with boxing coach Richie Woodhall
- He is part of Betfair's 'Defender to Contender' project to become a pro boxer
Rio Ferdinand continued his quest to become a professional boxer on Wednesday, but appeared to have his eyes on a different prize as he trained with girlfriend Kate Wright.?
In a video posted to Instagram, Ferdinand appears to finish his kettle bell set early in order to get a better view of Wright finishing off the required reps before finally throwing her off balance with a cheeky push.?
Rio Ferdinand and girlfriend Kate Wright swing kettle bells together in a joint workout
Ferdinand appeared to end his set quickly in order to watch Wright finishes her final lunges
Following the circuit session with his partner, Ferdinand then entered his own private boxing ring, which appears to have been erected under a marquee in his garden, to complete a sparring session with coach Richie Woodhall.
The 38-year-old is working with Betfair in a promotional campaign called 'Defender to Contender' with the ultimate goal of becoming a fully-fledged professional boxer and Woodhall is part of a large team assembled to help realise the dream.
Upon the announcement, Ferdinand said: 'It’s a challenge I’m not taking lightly, clearly not everyone can become a professional boxer, but with the team of experts Betfair are putting together and the drive I have to succeed, anything is possible.'?
The former Manchester United player risked a clash with the heavy equipment by stopping her
Wright continued with weighted squats while Ferdinand completes a set of dips
Ferdinand then took to the boxing ring with coach?Richie Woodhall in his private garden
He would be following in the footsteps of cricket legend Andrew Flintoff, who beat American Richard Dawson in his only heavyweight boxing bout in 2012.
Having had an incredibly successful career with Manchester United, Ferdinand also cuts himself a living as a pundit for BT Sport and is widely considered to be one of the more insightful ex-pros on television.
Ferdinand and Wright have regularly displayed their growing affection for one another on social media after going public with their relationship last July.
Most watched Sport videos
- Rio Ferdinand works up a sweat with girlfriend Katie Wright
- Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp insists 7-0 Spartak win was 'not easy'
- Chelsea 1-1 Atletico Madrid: Antonio Conte press conference
- McGregor and Hamilton join Versace at London Fashion Awards
- Speedy recovery: David Luiz running on anti-gravity treadmill
- Spartak boss disappointed following 7-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Belgian fans throw hundreds of teddy bears onto pitch to delay game
- Dele Alli reveals he plays badly when he thinks too much
- Celtic 0-1 Anderlecht: Brendan Rodgers press conference
- Goncharenko urges CSKA to regroup for Europa League
- Highlights from the Street Fighter finals of the Gfinity Elite Series
- 'The game was fantastic': Mourinho on Manchester victory
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.