Cristiano Ronaldo climbs up to second on Instagram's most-popular list after gaining 34m followers in just a year
- Cristiano Ronaldo ranked second most followed person on Instagram in 2017
- The Real Madrid star climbs from sixth to second after reaching 116m followers
- Only singer Selena Gomez sits above him on the list with 130m followers
- Ronaldo documented his growing family after adding three children this year?
Cristiano Ronaldo muscled his way into Instagram's top-followed ranks this year as he documented his career and growing family, but pop star Selena Gomez still reigned supreme on the social media platform.
Ronaldo, who was named Forbes' highest-paid footballer this year with ￡69million in earnings, climbed to second with 116m followers on Instagram, up from 82.8m followers and the No 6 slot last year.
Gomez remained the most-followed person on Instagram with 130m followers this year, up from 103m last year.
Cristiano Ronaldo documented his growing family, which included three new children, in 2017
Ronaldo's Instagram page has grown from?82.8m followers to 116m in the space of a year
BIGGEST FOLLOWINGS ON INSTAGRAM?
Selena Gomez - 130 million
Cristiano Ronaldo - 116 million
Ariana Grande - 115 million
Beyonce - 108 million
Kim Kardashian - 104 million?
Ronaldo, 32, has posted numerous photos and videos on Instagram this year both on and off the field. He notched three of the ten most-liked posts on Instagram this year, all documenting his growing family.
The athlete announced that he was a father to newborn twins born to a surrogate mother in June, in a post that garnered more than 8.2m likes.?
His most popular post clocked more than 11m likes in November, announcing the birth of his baby daughter with his girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez.
In 2010, Ronaldo said he became father to a son and had full custody. The mother's identity was not publicly announced.
Facebook Inc-owned Instagram has more than 500m daily active users and 800m monthly active users. The platform allows users to post photos, videos and this year introduced instant 'stories,' where posted videos and photos disappear after 24 hours.
This post with his new-born baby, son Cristiano Jnr and Georgina Rodriguez got 11m likes
Singers Ariana Grande and Beyonce held onto the third and fourth most-followed spots with 115m followers and 108m followers respectively this year, while reality star Kim Kardashian West held onto the fifth spot with 104m fans.
Beyonce's February photo announcing her pregnancy with twins was the most-liked photo on Instagram this year, with more than 11.1m likes.
Taylor Swift dropped from No 2 to No 6 after the 27-year-old disappeared from social media earlier this year after a highly publicised breakup with British DJ Calvin Harris and feuds with Katy Perry, Kim Kardashian and Kanye West.
She returned to Instagram in August with a scrubbed Instagram profile and promoted her new music on her feed.
Among the data compiled by Instagram between January 1 and November 17, the most popular hashtag used was #love, the city most featured in posts was New York and the most-Instagrammed location was Disneyland in Anaheim, California.?
Ronaldo welcomed twins into his life and the resulting post inspired 8.8m likes on Instagram
Most watched Sport videos
- Rio Ferdinand works up a sweat with girlfriend Katie Wright
- Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp insists 7-0 Spartak win was 'not easy'
- Spartak boss disappointed following 7-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Speedy recovery: David Luiz running on anti-gravity treadmill
- Jose Mourinho v Pep Guardiola: Tale of the tape
- McGregor and Hamilton join Versace at London Fashion Awards
- Dele Alli reveals he plays badly when he thinks too much
- Chelsea 1-1 Atletico Madrid: Antonio Conte press conference
- Celtic 0-1 Anderlecht: Brendan Rodgers press conference
- 'Best date ever' Eugenie Bouchard goes on date with fan after bet
- Anthony Joshua goes through rigorous neck exercise routine
- Jurgen Klopp discusses Liverpool's 1-0 win against West Brom