Arsenal's latest transfer blunder revealed as Antoine Griezmann rules out ever making Emirates switch: 'Forget it, after the blow they gave me'
- Arsenal were eyeing up then Real Sociedad hotshot Antoine Griezmann in 2013
- Griezmann held off other suitors as he waited for Arsenal to make a move
- The Gunners informed him late in the window they would not be doing so
- Failing to land Gonzalo Higuian and Luis Suarez that summer, saw Arsene Wenger eventually snap up Yaya Sanogo, who is now playing for Toulouse
Add another name to the nearly men of north London: Antoine Griezmann. In the summer of 2013 Griezmann was coming off a season where he had broken into double figures for goals for the first time for Real Sociedad and clubs were taking note.
Specifically the then 22-year-old was attracting interest from Arsenal, with Griezmann's former agent Eric Olhats in touch with Gunners' scout?Gilles Grimandi.
Antoine Griezmann has joined the long list of big name stars that Arsenal have bungled signing
In 2013 Arsenal's dallying cost them Griezmann, who has vowed he will never move there now
That same window saw Arsenal fail to land Luis Suarez with the infamous ￡40million and ￡1 bid and could only stand by as Gonzalo Higuain opted for Juventus over the Emirates.
Griezmann has revealed himself to be another potential Arsenal striker who saw his move to the Emirates collapse and as a result he has ruled out ever moving to the club.
He writes in his new autobiography of the mini-saga: 'I waited, I waited, and I kept waiting. When there was no news, Eric called Grimandi, who said that the manager was still interested in me [and] to keep waiting.
Afer failing to sign Luis Suarez or Gonzalo Higuian Arsenal signed Yaya Sanogo instead
'Finally a few hours before the market closed, he let us know Arsenal would not make a move. I don't like to be told something and for it not to happen.
'So when Eric told me later that the London club were interested again I told him "Forget it, after the blow they gave us".'
Thankfully Arsenal signed Yaya Sanogo that summer.
Most watched Sport videos
- Moment Olympian Sir Bradley Wiggins makes his rowing debut
- Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or: His career in 60 seconds
- Coutinho and Firmino crack up as they tackle bad Christmas jokes
- That's one way to do it! AJ smashes windows for new store opening
- West Ham boss David Moyes thrilled with first win in charge
- 'I'm playing against a wall!' Sturridge takes on Matip in joke game
- Conte blames tiredness for lacklustre performance in 1-0 loss
- Spurs boss Pochettino says: 'Scoring early gave us the belief'
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp previews Merseyside derby clash
- Liverpool v Everton: Premier League preview
- Hughes brands performance 'unacceptable' after 5-1 thrashing
- Arsene Wenger praises Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott after 6-0 win