Gary Lineker reveals tricky World Cup opener for England against hosts Russia (but don't worry, it's only the rehearsal for Friday's draw)
- Gary Lineker shared picture of mock World Cup draw ahead of?Friday's real one
- England were drawn in Group A with Russia which would be the opening fixture
- Lineker tweeted: 'First rehearsal has thrown up this beauty of an opening game'
England's World Cup opponents are to be revealed on Friday and Gareth Southgate's men will hope for an easier opening game than the rehearsal threw up.
That would be the first game of the tournament and the host nation would be a tricky prospect for any side with the weight of public support behind them.
Gary Lineker tweeted his reaction to the rehearsal of the World Cup draw in Moscow
Lineker accompanied his tweet with the caption: 'First full rehearsal of the draw has thrown up this beauty of an opening game.'
No doubt Southgate's side would like a more straightforward entrance to the competition.
The real ceremony begins at 3pm on Friday and there will be huge interest in proceedings which are to be conducted in the grand surroundings of the State Kremlin Palace.
Lineker will be joined by co-host Maria Komandnaya, a well-respected sports journalist from Russian television.
Gareth Southgate's side will no doubt be watching on with interest on Friday?
Some legends of the game will be on hand to conduct the draw itself with the likes of?Diego Maradona, Gordon Banks, Miroslav Klose, Laurent Blanc, Cafu, Carles Puyol, Diego Forlan and Fabio Cannavaro?in attendance.?
The 32 teams will be split into four pots based on their current rankings and although an opening game against Russia would be treacherous, England could face far sterner tests.?
There is the possibility of facing giants Germany or Brazil who both lie in wait in Pot 1.?
For all the details and permutations, check out Sportsmail's comprehensive guide to the World Cup draw.?
England will be hoping to avoid being drawn against Brazil or Germany next year?
Most watched Sport videos
- 'I realised how good he is': Pep Guardiola on Nathan Redmond
- Ronaldo's son shows off his football skills on the pitch
- Gary Neville and Manchester United legends enjoying night out
- Anthony Joshua shows off his strength in a new workout video
- Arsenal v Manchester United - Premier League match preview
- Pep Guardiola excited for last-gasp winner over Southampton
- World Cup Russia 2018: Twitter reacts to this summer's draw
- James Anderson hilariously tackles captain Joe Root to the floor
- Russia 2018: A look at England's World Cup opponents
- World Cup players including Ronaldo congratulate opponents
- Russia 2018: A guide to the amazing World Cup stadiums
- Everton caretaker manager proud over 4-0 win to West Ham
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.