Chelsea boss Antonio Conte waiting for Roman Abramovich to ask him which players he wants in January
- Antonio Conte wants owner?Roman Abramovich to grant him transfer wishlist
- The Italian coach says he needs players in January to retain the Premier League
- Chelsea already sit 11 points adrift of league leaders Manchester City
- The Chelsea boss has not ruled out catching City and retaining?their crown?
- Real Madrid are weighing up a January swoop for Chelsea defender David Luiz?
Ahead of a January transfer window which could shape their season, Conte said: 'It is better if once my club ask me what I need to catch them up then I will answer. But in a private way.'
Antonio Conte wants owner Roman Abramovich to grant him his January transfer wishlist
Conte, whose side face Swansea at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, added: 'We are in November and now we have to fight with this squad.
'I want to repeat that I am very happy to work with these players and try to do our best in this tournament.
'If one day the club try to ask me something about this topic I can give my opinion.'
The Italian coach says he needs new players to retain their Premier League title?
Conte has given off the feeling that he is having to fight for the title with a thin squad this season.
'Last season, if you remember, we started without a lot of pressure because a lot of people didn't think Chelsea would be at the top of the table.
'Last season we started without this pressure but I want to tell you the pressure is very important.?
'If there is no pressure, I put pressure on myself, the players and the club because it is right to have pressure if you want to create something important.'
Conte seemed to suggest that he was working with a very thin squad at Chelsea
While Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino wrote off his side's title hopes this week, Conte says Chelsea are still in the hunt, despite fighting on many fronts.
'We are in November and trying to do our best,' Conte said. 'We have 11 points less than Manchester City but we played all games against the other five top teams. We are in the second round of the Champions League.
'We have to play the quarter-final of the Carabao Cup. For the problems that we had from the start of the season we are doing our best.
'Now our target must be to see the team that is before us. In this case Manchester United. Our first target is to catch them up.?
'If we are able to do this, then we can see the team who is staying before us. This must be our mentality.'
The 48-year-old has refused to rule out catching Pep Guardiola's Manchester City
City, the current league leaders, are already 11 points ahead of Conte's third placed side
Chelsea's players will wear black armbands tonight in honour of former coach Dermot Drummy, whose death at the age of 56 was announced on Monday.?
Flags were at half-mast at the club's training ground on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid are weighing up a January move for Chelsea defender David Luiz.
The Brazil international has dropped down the pecking order after falling out with Conte after the 3-0 Champions League defeat by Roma in October.
The 30-year-old was made to train alone and was dropped against Manchester United and left on the bench against West Bromwich Albion and Liverpool.
Real Madrid are weighing up a January swoop for Chelsea defender David Luiz (left)?
Luiz has been ruled out of Wednesday's game and Conte says he requires further treatment to an ongoing knee problem.
'I must be honest at the moment it is difficult for me to answer,' Conte said when asked how long Luiz will be out. It will be up to the doctor to assess it and take the best decision.'
Luiz needs to play regularly to retain his place in Brazil's World Cup squad for the summer.
Though Luiz would be cup-tied for the Champions League, Madrid recognise that Luiz can operate as a centre back or as a defensive midfielder and provide cover at full back.?
While he had a reputation for being too cavalier in his first spell at Stamford Bridge, he has notably improved and benefited tactically under Conte.
Chelsea have been scouting for centre backs, among them Lyon's Mouctar Diakhaby, 20.
Most watched Sport videos
- 'How a good player he is': Pep Guardiola on Nathan Redmond
- Ronaldo's son shows off his football skills on the pitch
- Everton caretaker manager proud over 4-0 win to West Ham
- Stoke 0-3 Liverpool: Post-match press conference with Jurgen Klopp
- 'We played with creativity': Wenger on Arsenal Huddersfield 5-0 win
- Arsene Wenger gives players knitting lessons in spoof charity video
- Anthony Joshua shows off his strength in a new workout video
- Pep Guardiola excited for last-gasp winner over Southampton
- Arsenal v Manchester United - Premier League match preview
- Watford 2-4 Manchester United: Jose Mourinho's press conference
- Arsenal Wenger discusses Arsenal's win over Huddersfield Town
- Fosu-Mensah faces Courtois in NBA Celebrity Gaming Tournament
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.