Craig Pawson was right to book Fernandinho for a clear dive but was lucky to be given a second chance to award Raheem Sterling a penalty
- Booking Fernandinho was a good decision by Craig Pawson - it was a clear dive
- The Brazilian was making the most of an opportunity to win a spot kick?
- Pawson should have given Raheem Sterling a penalty moments before he did
- Overall it was a solid performance from a fine referee on Sunday
It was a very good call by Craig Pawson to book Fernandinho — it was a clear dive.
Pawson did well to take a lead, unlike the more experienced Martin Atkinson on Friday night, who overlooked Andre Ayew’s theatrics at West Ham.
Huddersfield’s Rajiv van la Parra took a giant swing of his boot and you could say Fernandinho was taking evasive action, but he was making the most of what he saw as an opportunity and the official was correct in his swift action.
Huddersfield’s Rajiv van la Parra took a giant swing of his boot as Fernandinho burst through
You could say Fernandinho was taking evasive action, but he was making the most of it
It proved to be a clear dive and Craig Pawson was right to book Fernandinho for diving
It was, however, a poor decision not to award Raheem Sterling a penalty in the first minute of the second half when he was brought down by the goalkeeper.
Pawson was able to make amends within 40 seconds when Sterling was again fouled in the box. And he was right to send off Van la Parra at the end for raising a hand to Leroy Sane.
Overall it was a good performance from a fine referee. He makes decisions rather than taking easy options.
Sterling was brought down in the box moments after half time to win a penalty for Man City
Sergio Aguero stepped up and confidently slotted the spot kick home to restore parity
Most watched Sport videos
- Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp insists 7-0 Spartak win was 'not easy'
- Rio Ferdinand works up a sweat with girlfriend Katie Wright
- Spartak boss disappointed following 7-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Coutinho and Firmino crack up as they tackle bad Christmas jokes
- Speedy recovery: David Luiz running on anti-gravity treadmill
- 'I'm playing against a wall!' Sturridge takes on Matip in joke game
- Jose Mourinho v Pep Guardiola: Tale of the tape
- That's one way to do it! AJ smashes windows for new store opening
- Ronaldo wins the Ballon d'Or: His career in 60 seconds
- Paulo Fonseca delivers on promise to wear Zorro outfit after win
- Chelsea 1-1 Atletico Madrid: Antonio Conte press conference
- Arsene Wenger praises Jack Wilshere and Theo Walcott after 6-0 win