Barcelona icon Lionel Messi receives Golden Shoe trophy after winning the European award for a fourth time by netting 37 La Liga goals last season
- Lionel Messi was presented with the 2016-17 Golden Shoe award by Luis Suarez
- The Golden Shoe is given to the top scorer across all of Europe's major leagues
- Messi won the prize for a fourth time by scoring 37 La Liga goals last season
- The Barcelona icon was joined by his wife and their son at the presentation?event
Lionel Messi received his fourth Golden Shoe award on Friday after scoring more goals than any other player across all of Europe's major leagues last season.
Messi scored 37 goals in La Liga last season as Barca finished second in the table.
Lionel Messi (left) was presented with the 2016-17 Golden Shoe award by Luis Suarez on Friday
Messi has now got four Golden Shoe trophies — from 2009-10, 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2016-17
Messi was joined at Friday's ceremony by wife?Antonella Roccuzzo and their young son Thiago
The Argentina forward pipped Dutch striker Bas Dost, who netted 34 times for Sporting Lisbon in the Portuguese?Primeira Liga.
Thirty-year-old Messi also won the Golden Shoe in 2009-10 (34 goals), 2011-12 (50 goals) and 2012-13 (46 goals).
He was presented with the trophy by teammate Luis Suarez, who won the award in 2015-16 with 40 goals.
Messi thanked his team-mates for helping him score so many goals, while also saying that he enjoys playing more than ever, 13 years since his debut with Barcelona's first team.
'I have never considered myself a forward. I have been lucky enough to score goals,' Messi said.
'I have grown both on and off the pitch. I keep improving and adding things to my game, and I enjoy playing more and more.'?
Barcelona icon Messi gave Thiago a kiss on the cheek at the?Antigua Fabrica Estrella Damm
Thirty-year-old Messi wore a black suit as he posed for photos with his latest individual award
The award is organised by European Sports Media, a group of newspapers and magazines
MESSI IN LA LIGA
2016-17 — 37 goals in 34 games
2015-16 — 26 goals in 33 games
2014-15 — ?43 goals in 38 games
2013-14 — ?28 goals in 31 games
2012-13 — ?46 goals in 32 games?
Andres Iniesta and Sergio Busquets also attended the ceremony in Barcelona.
Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez have dominated the award for the past nine years.
The only time a non-La Liga player won the Golden Shoe in the last decade was when Suarez shared the prize with Ronaldo while at Liverpool in 2013-14.
The Golden Shoe is awarded by European Sports Media, an association of European sports newspapers and magazines.
Messi scored 37 goals in 34 La Liga appearances for Barcelona during the 2016-17 season
Two of those goals helped Barca beat fierce rivals Real Madrid 3-2 at the Bernabeu in April
Messi scored an excellent last-minute free kick to earn Barca a 1-1 draw at Villarreal in January
Most watched Sport videos
- 'The game was fantastic': Mourinho on Manchester victory
- Arsene Wenger 'angry and disappointed' after Arsenal lose 3-1
- Ronaldo's son shows off his football skills on the pitch
- Antoine Griezmann shows off his skills on the training pitch
- 'I realised how good he is': Pep Guardiola on Nathan Redmond
- Anthony Joshua shows off his strength in a new workout video
- Man City's Bernardo Silva gets thrown in the pool by team-mates
- Dan Haag keeper Martin Hansen scores 95th minute mule kick
- Arsene Wenger gives players knitting lessons in spoof charity video
- Watford 2-4 Manchester United: Jose Mourinho's press conference
- Tottenham footballer Jan Vertonghen films himself during live draw
- Virtual tour of Tottenham Hotspur's incredible new ground