Legendary Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson goes shopping in Miami... 25 years after making his greatest ever buy: Eric Cantona
- Exactly 25 years ago Eric Cantona joined Manchester United from Leeds
- He was signed by Sir Alex Ferguson before winning four Premier League titles
- Ferguson was pictured shopping with his wife, Cathy, in Miami, Florida?
Former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has been pictured shopping in Miami, but it's unlikely he'll have found a better bargain than the purchase he made exactly 25 years ago.?
Ferguson was spotted shopping with his wife, Cathy, in Florida, but despite enjoying his retirement for the last four years he appeared to be wearing the sort of fierce expressions often seen on the touchline at Old Trafford.
But if he needed cheering up, Ferguson would only have to think back to perhaps his greatest ever signing, the ￡1.2million he paid Leeds United for Eric Cantona on November 24, 1992.?
Sir Alex Ferguson is snapped shopping in Miami, Florida with his wife Cathy
The Manchester United legend retired in 2013 after a 26-year-spell at Old Trafford
It is exactly a quarter of a century to the day that Cantona joined United, his switch coming as a bolt from the blue. Cantona had won the league title with Leeds only the season before, and the Yorkshire side are one of United's most bitter rivals.
The French striker, who had a notorious bad-boy reputation, went onto help Ferguson win four Premier League titles in his five seasons in Manchester before retiring aged just 31 and taking up acting.
But Cantona's arrival is widely hailed as the spark for the long era of dominance enjoyed by United under Ferguson, and transformed English football forever. ?
Sir Alex was snapped on the 25th anniversary of Eric Cantona's arrival from Leeds
Cantona arrived as a league winner with fierce rivals Leeds just the season before
The Frenchman helped revolutionise English football alongside Ferguson at United
Now aged 51, Cantona this week spoke to a United fans' YouTube channel about his career
Cantona still maintains an active interest in his former employers, with the 51-year-old predicting future glory for current boss Jose Mourinho, despite also joining the consistently growing list of critics of his style of play.
In an interview with FullTimeDEVILS, Cantona said: 'Mourinho will win a lot of things with United. But me, I prefer a more fancy and creative (manner of playing). It is why I loved playing for United.
'I love Mourinho. It is just I prefer it if it is more offensive because it is United.'
Ferguson called time on his 26-year spell in charge at Old Trafford in 2013, but has taken up a position among the board of directors and is often spotted in the stands watching games.
He might be tempted to give Saturday's home game with Brighton a miss, however, to enjoy some more Miami sunshine with his wife. ?
Most watched Sport videos
- Tottenham footballer Jan Vertonghen films himself during live draw
- World Cup Russia 2018: Twitter reacts to this summer's draw
- World Cup players including Ronaldo congratulate opponents
- Russia 2018: A guide to the amazing World Cup stadiums
- Ronaldo's son shows off his football skills on the pitch
- Russia 2018: A look at England's World Cup opponents
- James Anderson hilariously tackles captain Joe Root to the floor
- 'I realised how good he is': Pep Guardiola on Nathan Redmond
- Gary Neville and Manchester United legends enjoying night out
- England great Gordon Banks rallies behind England before draw
- Anthony Joshua shows off his strength in a new workout video
- Arsenal v Manchester United - Premier League match preview