England cricketer Stuart Broad shows off golf ball bruise after being hit by stray ball in build-up to the Ashes (and captain Joe Root finds it very funny!)
- Stuart Broad has moved to reassure fans he is fine after being hit by a golf ball
- The England seamer took to Instagram to show off the bruised area of his back
- Behind him a guitar-playing Joe Root couldn't contain his laughter
- Broad has been spending time on the courses Down Under with Jimmy Anderson
England suffered an unlikely injury scare on Monday when Stuart Broad was hit while playing golf in Brisbane.?
The man who the local Courier-Mail newspaper declared war on the last time England were here for the Ashes was on the putting green enjoying a round during England's day off when an unknown assailant over hit his drive and struck Broad on the lower back.
But the missile only bruised Australia's pantomime villain who told Sportsmail he will be fit and ready for action at the Gabba at midnight on Wednesday night.
Stuart Broad took to Instagram to show off his golf ball bruise, much to Joe Root's amusement
The 31-year-old has hit the golf course Down Under in the build-up to?the Ashes and has been seen out on the fairways with team-mate Jimmy Anderson.?
And Broad was testing his accuracy on the putting green at Brisbane Golf Club when he was hit from behind by a stray shot, catching him on the small of his back.
The Nottingham-born ace took to his official Instagram account to share an image of himself, flashing a cheeky grin to the camera with the bruise visibly on show, while Joe Root can be seen laughing in the background.?
Captioning the snap Broad wrote: '**WARNING** Graphic Image. Golf ball bruise. If you look really hard you can see it.
Broad's cheeky response came as a result of a dig from Australian cricket journalist Peter Lalor, who quickly put out a tweet after news of his golfing incident first began to circulate.
Broad had also shared a screenshot of a dig from Australian cricket journalist Peter Lalor
Broad has been taking to the courses of Brisbane along with team-mate Jimmy Anderson
Earlier, Broad had shared the post from Lalor who had tweeted: 'Hearing that Stuart Broad was hit on the shoulder by a golf ball in Brisbane today. Had to ice it. Not confirmed. #getreadyforabrokenf***ingshoulder'
The tongue-in-cheek jibe served to stoke up the atmosphere before the looming Ashes showdown, making reference to multiple shoulder injuries the player has sustained in the past, and some potentially hostile Australian bowling coming Broad's way soon.?
Broad is no stranger to finding himself in the firing line in Brisbane, where the home crowd and press delivered a barrage of verbal bouncers in his direction on his last Ashes trip.
He became public enemy No 1 in 2013-14 when most of Australia remained irked by his decision four months earlier not to walk off in the Trent Bridge Test after edging a ball - via the wicketkeeper's gloves - to slip.
An England and Wales Cricket Board spokesman confirmed Broad is 'fine' ahead of the Ashes
In response, Brisbane's Courier Mail refused to name him - referring instead to 'the 27-year-old medium-pacer', and printing only washed-out and faceless silhouettes of him.
Broad has spoken several times in the lead-up to this Ashes campaign, which begins at the Gabba, of his curiosity to see what is in store for him here this time.
There has been nothing of note, however, since England's arrival on Sunday until this accident.
An England and Wales Cricket Board spokesman said: 'Stuart was practising on the putting green when he was hit by a stray golf ball from a member.
'He is fine, and no dramas.'
Most watched Sport videos
- Man City's Bernardo Silva gets thrown in the pool by team-mates
- Guardiola praises side after 'deserved' win at Huddersfield
- 'I've got the heaviest head': Bancroft talks Bairstow's headbutt
- Watford 2-4 Manchester United: Jose Mourinho's press conference
- Arsene Wenger gives players knitting lessons in spoof charity video
- 'When you realise you're a fat mess' Tyson Fury dances in the ring
- Striker Kylian Mbappe gets pranked by his new team-mates
- 'Looking sharper everyday': Tyson Fury continues his training
- Pogba, Lukaku and Lingard perform team-mate's Martial's chant
- Ronaldo given luxurious Audi after Champions League performance
- What a goal! A fit Henrikh Mkhitaryan scores a wonder goal
- Mourinho admits side didn't play well but praises tough Brighton