Ben Stokes joins elite club on Lord's honours boards and becomes a true all-rounder after taking six wickets
- READ: Paul Newman reports from Lord's as 14 wickets fall on extraordinary day
- Ben Stokes sees bowling average dip below his batting average in Test matches
- The all-rounder is one of six players to make bowling and batting boards at Lord's
An extraordinary day for an extraordinary series.
England and West Indies shared out 14 wickets on a nightmare day for batsman as the series decider at Lord's got off to an incredible start.
Ben Stokes' six wickets set England on course for what looked like an easy victory but the tale took a twist as their top order collapsed.
Sportsmail's LAWRENCE BOOTH was on duty to report on the day's events....
Ben Stokes joins five England stars to appear on Lord's honours board for batting and bowling
Ben Stokes became the sixth England player to appear on the Lord’s honours boards both for scoring a century (he made 101 against New Zealand in 2015) and now taking five or more wickets in an innings.?
The others are Gubby Allen, Ray Illingworth, Ian Botham, Andrew Flintoff and Stuart Broad.
Stokes’s career-best six-for-22 means his Test bowling average (33.50) has dipped below his batting average (35.35) – traditionally the statistical mark of a bona fide all-rounder.
Ben Stokes has seen his bowling average dip below his batting average in Test matches
Not since 1979 has the team batting first after winning the toss at Lord’s been bowled out for fewer than the 123 West Indies managed here.?
India were dismissed for 96, with Botham claiming five-for-35.
At one point after tea, Jimmy Anderson needed only one wicket for 500 in Tests, while West Indies No 9 Devendra Bishoo needed just one run to reach the equivalent landmark.?
Bishoo won the race, edging Anderson to third man for four.
West Indies No 9 Devendra Bishoo reached 500 Test runs with an edge for a boundary
Most watched Sport videos
- Man City 2-1 Southampton: Pep Guardiola's press conference
- Stoke 0-3 Liverpool: Post-match press conference with Jurgen Klopp
- Ronaldo's son shows off his football skills on the pitch
- Everton caretaker manager proud over 4-0 win to West Ham
- 'We played with creativity': Wenger on Arsenal Huddersfield 5-0 win
- Arsene Wenger gives players knitting lessons in spoof charity video
- Watford 2-4 Manchester United: Jose Mourinho's press conference
- Arsenal Wenger discusses Arsenal's win over Huddersfield Town
- Holding faces Farrell in semi-final of NBA Celeb Gaming Tournament
- Fosu-Mensah faces Courtois in NBA Celebrity Gaming Tournament
- Mauricio Pochettino on Tottenham's performance against Leicester
- Santi Cazorla injury the worst Arsene Wenger has seen
No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.