Shakhtar Donetsk boss Paulo Fonseca dresses as Zorro at press conference after they beat Manchester City
- Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1 Manchester City REPORT: Bernard and Ismaily strike
- The win ensured the hosts progressed through to Champions League last 16?
- Shakhtar boss Paulo Fonseca fulfilled a promise and dressed as Zorro
- AS IT HAPPENED: Sportsmail's LUKE AUGUSTUS provided the live updates
Shakhtar Donetsk coach Paulo Fonseca followed Pep Guardiola into the post-match interview room dressed as Zorro on Wednesday night.
The Shakhtar boss fulfilled a promise he had made if the Ukrainian champions reached the knockout stage of the Champions League.
The 44-year-old was true to his word as he donned the mask of Zorro,?a fictional character created in 1919 by?Johnston McCulley, in Kharkiv for the press conference.
Shakhtar Donetsk coach Paulo Fonseca dressed as Zorro after beating Manchester City
He fulfilled a promise he had made if the Ukrainian champions reached the knockout stage
Fonseca, recently linked with the Everton job now filled by Sam Allardyce,?said: 'This is the most joyful press conference of my career!'
The Ukrainians?needed just a point against City to ensure second spot in the group, but they went one better by earning a 2-1 win against the Premier League leaders.?
Reflecting on his side's performance, he said: 'Tonight we played an almost ideal game. We were very disciplined in defence and broke through to attack very effectively.
'This is the most joyful press conference of my career!,' said the 44-year-old Shakhtar boss
It came after Ukrainian champions beat City 2-1 in the final Champions League group games
'It was very important to close up some particular zones for Manchester City where they are usually very dangerous. I think we did that well and they did not threaten as they normally would.
'I feel great joy. I think not only Shakhtar's supporters but all Ukrainians have to be proud of our team. Twelve points in such a group is fantastic.'??
Shakhtar could now draw fellow Premier League giants Manchester United, Liverpool or Spurs on Monday.
'I feel great joy. Not only Shakhtar's supporters but all Ukrainians have to be proud,' he said
Most watched Sport videos
- Rio Ferdinand works up a sweat with girlfriend Katie Wright
- Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp insists 7-0 Spartak win was 'not easy'
- Spartak boss disappointed following 7-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Speedy recovery: David Luiz running on anti-gravity treadmill
- Jose Mourinho v Pep Guardiola: Tale of the tape
- McGregor and Hamilton join Versace at London Fashion Awards
- Chelsea 1-1 Atletico Madrid: Antonio Conte press conference
- Paulo Fonseca delivers on promise to wear Zorro outfit after win
- Celtic 0-1 Anderlecht: Brendan Rodgers press conference
- 'Best date ever' Eugenie Bouchard goes on date with fan after bet
- Anthony Joshua goes through rigorous neck exercise routine
- Jurgen Klopp discusses Liverpool's 1-0 win against West Brom
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.