Shinola hopes to banish Beats with the best looking headphones around (and they sound pretty great as well)
- Canfield range has on ear, over ear and in ear options
- Sound in incredibly warm, and perfect for iPhones
- Stunning design use the same leather and metal as the firm's watches
- The fit on the $595 over ear can be a little loose - it's worth trying them on first
Best known for its range of watches, Detroit brand Shinola has revealed its first range of headphones.
Called the Canfield Collection, they use the same materials and finishes as the watches.
While not cheap, with the over ear model coming in at an eye watering $595, Shinola hopes the attention to detail in both the design and sound will tempt buyers to the distinctive headphones.?
They aren't cheap, but Shinola's first foray into headphones are the perfect accessory for design obsessives looking to upgrade their listening habits. Pictured, the $595 on-ear Cranfield.
The new collection will consist of four styles: The Canfield Over-Ear, The Canfield On-Ear, The Canfield Pro In-Ear Monitor, and The Canfield In-EarMonitor.?
'This introduction is special,' said Shinola's founder, Tom Kartsotis.?
'It speaks to our love of music and craft and it speaks to the soul of Detroit. It is rare that one product can capture and transmit this much emotion and be so much fun to share.?
'People always smile when they hold the headphones, feel the quality and then listen.?
'It has taken us a while to make it feel right, to make the steel and leather details and the sound all come together.'?
We tried the over ear version, and they are superb - as you'd hope for $595.
There Cranfield over-ear's have interchangeable lambskin ear cushions and a Top Grain leather headband which is phenomenally comfortable. This color, called cognac, is particularly stunning - making them the best looking headphones we've ever seen.
The quality of the craftmanship is the first thing that hits you, and everything from the rich colour and softness of the leather band to the sharp lines of the steel is superb.
Oddly, the pair we tried felt a little large, and even at the smallest size seemed a little loose on my head, particularly when walking.
However, Shinola says it based the headband and amount of extension on the US average head size - although I'd say its worth trying them on before buying is your head is on the smaller size (which I didn't think mine was...).
The Canfield is also available in a smaller on-ear model, pictured here, which cost $495
The sound is superb, with a rich, warm feel to it.
Shinola has clearly spent a lot of time getting this right, and it shows.?
While some headphones at this price point can sound a little too clinical and severe, the Shinola's strike a great balance between detail and warmth (although as will all high quality headphones, its worth listening to Tidal or another high quality source to get the best out of them).
They are seem perfectly suited to the iPhone, with remote controls build into the braided cable.
There are also?interchangeable lambskin ear cushions and a Top Grain leather headband which is phenomenally comfortable.
For fans of the brand, the Cranfield is a no brainer - it's every bit as well made and well thought out as the firm's other product.
For everyone else, they are well worth a listen if you're looking to upgrade your audio - and a stunning example of how hi-tech doesn't have to look ugly or impersonal, and bode well for Shinola's future in the audio world.
Most watched News videos
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- Christine Keeler, ex-showgirl at centre of Profumo scandal, dies
- Persons of interest in the death of Sydney Loofe release video
- Heroic neighbours rescue woman after attack by two dogs
- Trouble in paradise: Two seniors brawl during Caribbean holiday
- A heart-stopping moment a pride of lions attack a buck
- Met Office: Winds strengthen across UK as Storm Caroline develops
- 'Hypocrite' Nigel Farage refuses to hand back ￡73,000 EU pension
- Davis reveals there is no study for impact of Brexit on economy
- Aftermath of man's brutal attack on greyhound after he lost race
- Footage shows wreckage of Stacey Flounders' car following crash
- Cruise ship sprayed down after passengers struck down by gastro
No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards.
We are no longer accepting comments on this article.