Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station are evacuated after two fires fill busy transport hubs with thick smoke
- Two separate fires erupted at Grand Central and Penn station Wednesday
- 85 firefighters were immediately summoned to the scene at Grand Central
- The FDNY says it was called to Penn station for a blaze under track no. 14?
- Three people reportedly have minor injuries after the heavy smoke was detected
Grand Central Terminal and Penn Station are evacuated after two fires break out at the busy transport hubs Wednesday morning.
An electrical fire broke out in a supply closet on the mezzanine level of Grand Central Terminal with heavy smoke being detected inside the building, which forced an evacuation.
The fire was also?reported in the high-rise office building above the terminal shortly before 9.30am, on the 24th floor of the Graybar Building at 43rd Street and Lexington Avenue.
Scroll down for video?
Pictured here are people gathered near Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan after a fire broke out on the mezzanine level of the terminal
Firefighters are pictured here at Grand Central Terminal trying to contain the situation?
Additionally, across town a fire erupted at?Penn Station, underneath Madison Square Garden arena, and the New York City Fire Department was called.
The blaze was under track number 14.
At Grand Central three people were hurt in the two-alarm fire, according to social media sources, however no injuries have been reported at Penn Station.
The FDNY confirmed the fire had been extinguished shortly before 11am, however?the smoke could not be contained and the station has been evacuated as a result.
Heavy smoke was reported inside the building and over 85 firefighters were immediately summoned to the scene.
The cause of the fires remains unclear and at the moment don't appear to be related.??
The FDNY confirmed the fire had been extinguished shortly before 11am, however the smoke could not be contained and the station has been evacuated as a result
The fire at Grand Central ignited in the high-rise office building above the terminal shortly before 9.30am, on the 24th floor of the Graybar Building at 43rd Street and Lexington Avenue
Most watched News videos
- Billy Bush talks to Stephen Colbert about being fire from Today
- Wild fight erupts between teacher and student inside classroom
- Trouble in paradise: Two seniors brawl during Caribbean holiday
- President Trump slurs speech during Jerusalem address
- Melanie Martinez at 'American Horror Story' premiere in L.A.
- Extra police on standby as Samuel Shaffer is arrested in Lund
- Persons of interest in the death of Sydney Loofe release video
- Matt Lauer spotted leaving Long Island deli without wedding ring
- Palestinians torch Trump photos in protest against embassy move
- A heart-stopping moment a pride of lions attack a buck
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- Australian gamer beats 15-year record for GoldenEye 007
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.