Former New York Rangers bully Sean Avery hit with a restraining order for ‘harassing’ adversarial mother-in-law
- Mother-in-law's lawyer: 'They were running into each other, belonged to the same gym, and he'd issue profanities at her and make obscene gestures'?
- The order, which was filed last December and will expire later this month, requested that?Avery 'surrender any and all... firearms' to police
- Avery's appeal of the order was denied, but the court reportedly ruled that he would not have to hand over any firearms?
- The pair have had a contentious?relationship since before Avery married model Hilary Rhoda, who would later sue her manager mother for theft?
- Marianne, Hilary's mother, counter-sued, claiming that Avery's prospects for employment were 'highly speculative' after he retired from the NHL in 2012 and she was simply 'concerned' for her daughter's financial future
- A veteran of 10 NHL seasons who twice led the league in penalty minutes, Avery?made a name for himself off the ice for his connection to the fashion world
A defensive-minded forward, Sean Avery had a 10-year NHL career that included six seasons with the New York Rangers. He led the league in penalty minutes twice?
Former New York Rangers bully Sean Avery has been hit with a restraining order by his mother-in-law, Marianne Rhoda, who has accused him of harassment.
According to Page Six, the restraining order, filed in Suffolk County Family Court, began last December and will expire later this month.
Avery was ordered to 'surrender any and all handguns, pistols… shotguns and any other firearms' to police,' according to Page Six.
His appeal of the order was denied, but the court reportedly ruled that Avery would not have to hand over any firearms.
A veteran of 10 NHL seasons who twice led the league in penalty minutes, Avery was not an elite hockey player by any standard. However he did make a name for himself as a violent enforcer and a solid defensive forward, particularly during his six-year tenure in New York.
'During a course of time in the summer of 2016, [Avery and Rhoda] were living in the same area in the Hamptons and he was harassing her,' Rhoda's lawyer Terry R. Woodward said of the restraining order.?
'They were running into each other, belonged to the same gym, and he'd issue profanities at her and make obscene gestures,' he continued. 'He was driving in his car too close to her and scaring her.'?
Scroll down for video?
Model Hilary Rhoda and Sean Avery attend FIT's Annual Gala at the Grand Ballroom at The Plaza Hotel in 2016. The pair were married a year earlier. Avery retired from the NHL in 2012
(Left)?Sean Avery attends the Patrik Ervell fall 2013 fashion show during MADE Fashion Week at Milk Studios on February 10, 2013. (Right)?Marianne Rhoda, mother and former manager of model Hilary Rhoda, who married Avery in 2015 and would go on to sue her mother for theft
Sean Avery (left) attends Perry Ellis Spring 2008 Fashion Show at The Promenade in Bryant Park during the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Spring 2008 when he served as a Vogue intern
Avery and his mother-in-law have reportedly been at odds for years.?
His model wife Hilary Rhoda previously sued her mother in 2014 for allegedly stealing from her when Marianne worked as Hilary's modeling manager. Marianne allegedly withdrew $1 million from Hilary's personal account in 2009 and made another $1.9 million in wire transfers to vendors who had 'no apparent association' to her daughter's modelling career.
Hilary's suit went on to claim that Marianne 'manipulated her familial role to improperly seize — and then abuse — enormous power over Hilary's finances.' It also alleged that Marianne forged Hilary's signature to divert funds for her own retirement, refused to provide accounting records, and used a company credit card for a number of questionable purchases, such as a divorce attorney, pool vendor, and shopping excursions to Neiman Marcus and Barneys.
In 2015, Avery was arrested in Southampton Village, Long Island for allegedly throwing rocks at cars.?
According to Page Six?, Marianne counter-sued, claiming that Avery's prospects for employment were 'highly speculative' after he retired from the NHL in 2012 at the age of 31. Marianne argued that she was simply 'concerned' for her daughter's financial future and accused Avery of preventing Hilary from implementing a prenuptial agreement before their wedding, which Marianne reportedly did not attend.
Avery previously had a relationship with actress Elisha Cuthbert, who went on to date and marry Calgary Flames defenseman Dion Phaneuf. In 2008, after Avery learned of Cuthbert’s relationship with Phaneuf, he referred to his ex-girlfriend as ‘sloppy seconds’ to a group of reporters.
‘I just want to comment on how it's become like a common thing in the NHL for guys to fall in love with my sloppy seconds,’ he said. ‘I don't know what that's about, but enjoy the game tonight.’
Avery also previously dated model Rachel Hunter, who went on to have a relationship with Los Angeles Kings center Jarret Stoll.?
He also made a name for himself in the fashion world. ?
In 2008, Avery spent the off-season working as an intern at Vogue magazine. He would later work at Commonwealth Utilities, a men's fashion label, and even served as a model for Hickey Freeman in a shoot that appeared in Vanity Fair. Avery also went on to a number of film and television appearances, including a stint on the 18th season of Dancing With the Stars.
Avery's temper has also gotten him in trouble off the ice. ?
In 2015, Avery was arrested in Southampton Village, Long Island for allegedly throwing rocks at cars. He was ultimately charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief and two counts of seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance - all misdemeanors.?
Avery ultimately agreed to a deal that expunged the charges from his record after 45 days.?
Avery (right) appeared on Dancing With The Stars with dance partner Karina Smirnoff
Most watched News videos
- Billy Bush talks to Stephen Colbert about being fire from Today
- Matt Lauer spotted leaving Long Island deli without wedding ring
- Melanie Martinez at 'American Horror Story' premiere in L.A.
- Wild fight erupts between teacher and student inside classroom
- Extra police on standby as Samuel Shaffer is arrested in Lund
- President Trump slurs speech during Jerusalem address
- Trouble in paradise: Two seniors brawl during Caribbean holiday
- Persons of interest in the death of Sydney Loofe release video
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- Sir Elton on stage in Barcelona just hours before his mother died
- Christine Keeler, ex-showgirl at centre of Profumo scandal, dies
- Palestinians torch Trump photos in protest against embassy move
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.