Et tu, Mike? Pence plotted coup against Trump after p****gate tape was revealed and his wife called candidate 'reprehensible - just totally vile'
- In October 2016 the Washington Post published the 'Access Hollywood' tape of Donald Trump boasting about grabbing women 'by the p****'?
- Republican sources say Mike Pence was considering a 'coup' after the tape emerged
- Many Republicans thought the tape would be devastating at the time and?Pence told the RNC he was ready to replace Trump
- Former campaign aide said Karen Pence was 'disgusted' by the tape:?'She finds him reprehensible—just totally vile'
The stunning release of the 'p****' tape in October 2016 had close advisors predicting it would lead to Donald Trump's downfall and running mate Mike Pence plotting a 'coup,' according to a new report on the vice president Tuesday.?
The release of the 'Access Hollywood' tape where Trump boasted about using his celebrity and grabbing women 'by the p***" rocked the campaign, and even persuaded some leading Trump advisors that the candidate was through.
Pence, the religiously conservative former Indiana governor who Trump selected as his running mate, was contemplating a 'coup' to replace Trump at the top of the ticket, the Atlantic?reported.?
With the party's chances in doubt after the revelations, hours after the Washington Post broke news about the tape, 'Pence made it clear to the Republican National Committee that he was ready to take Trump’s place as the party’s nominee,' according to the report.
Vice President Mike?Pence, the religiously conservative former Indiana governor who Donald Trump selected as his running mate, was contemplating a 'coup' to replace Trump at the top of the ticket after the release of the 'Access Hollywood' tape, according to a report
Denial: Pence's office said Tuesday that the coup plot story was not true and added an emoji
The Vice President's office denied the report
The maneuvering came at a time when official Washington was rocked by the raw hot mic comments of the 'Access Hollywood' tape, which soon led to the firing of Billy Bush.
A former campaign aide said Pence's wife, Karen Pence, was 'disgusted' by the tape.
'She finds him reprehensible—just totally vile' the aide said of President Trump. The couple was appalled by the video, according to the report.
Pence spokeswoman Alyssa Farah tweeted: 'Regarding The Atlantic’s tired, false claim about the VP during the campaign -- we denied this in the article and deny it again today. Didn’t happen.' She included a sleeping emoji.?
In the aftermath, a Republican senator called the Republican Party to take emergency steps to replace Trump, who had already accepted his party's nomination at the convention, according to the Atlantic.
It was at an urgent October 2016 Trump Tower meeting where former RNC chair Reince Priebus, who went on to become White House chief of staff, famously urged Trump to get out of the race.
New York magazine reported that Priebus said if he didn't, he would 'go down with a worse election loss than Barry Goldwater’s.'?
The candidate ultimately rejected pleas to get out, and hit back hard during the second presidential debate, where he brought along Bill Clinton's former accusers as a way to needle rival Hillary Clinton.
The tape shows Trump bragging to host Billy Bush about using his celebrity and having the ability to grab women 'by the p****'
There wasn't a ready mechanism for the party to replace a potentially hobbled nominee. An RNC rule only authorized the party to fill any vacancy created 'by death, declination, or otherwise.'
There was pressure from some anti-Trump lawmakers, such as Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois, for Trump to step aside at this point.?
Despite the articles use of the term 'coup,' it does not mention any plotters or a plan to confront the nominee or otherwise force him out.?
Most watched News videos
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- Trouble in paradise: Two seniors brawl during Caribbean holiday
- Christine Keeler, ex-showgirl at centre of Profumo scandal, dies
- Sir Elton on stage in Barcelona just hours before his mother died
- Wild fight erupts between teacher and student inside classroom
- Moment thrill seeking base jumpers leap from 530ft Beachy Head
- Heartbreaking footage shows helpless puppies rescued from tar
- Melanie Martinez at 'American Horror Story' premiere in L.A.
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.