Mother's fury as nursery is 'let off' with a caution after her toddler's skin was 'burnt off' when he opened a safety gate and knocked over a bowl of scalding hot water onto his face
- 18-month-old Reuben Adams was burned by hot water while at a nursery
- Suffered burns to the left hand side of his face, left shoulder and behind his ear
- Mum Sarah Walker, 29, was 'distraught' over what happened to her toddler
- But she says Bridge End House was 'let off' with a caution by Kirklees Council
- WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES?
A mother whose son suffered horrific burns after a bowl of hot water tipped over him is furious after the nursery was 'let off' with a caution.
Sarah Walker, 29, was left 'distraught and in hysterics' after being told what had happened to 18-month-old Reuben Adams in a kitchenette at Bridge End House Nursery, Huddersfield, in August.
He suffered burns to the left hand side of his face, his left shoulder and behind his ear and needed intensive treatment at Pinderfields General Hospital.
Today, Kirklees Council said it had completed its investigation into the incident at the nursery, which charges fees of ￡200 per week.
In a statement it said: 'The immediate cause of the incident was not closing the door to the kitchenette, but officers found it was not the only contributing factor to this incident.
Sarah Walker, 29, was left 'distraught and in hysterics' after being told what had happened to her ?18-month-old son Reuben Adams
Reuben suffered burns to the left hand side of his face, his left shoulder and behind his ear and needed intensive treatment at Pinderfields General Hospital
The incident happened at the Bridge End House nursery, which charges fees of ￡200 per week
'Underlying causes played a significant role including nursery policies, staff training, allocation of staffing and deviation from agreed company procedures.
'Bridge End House Nursery Fixby has co-operated fully with the council's investigation and has made significant improvements to ensure this type of accident doesn't happen again.'
But Sarah said: 'I am absolutely not happy. I would like to see the nursery prosecuted or shut down. I will be looking at taking this further. Giving it a caution is not good enough.
'Reuben is still reliving this accident night after night and suffering 'night terrors'.'
She said she hoped her petition calling for more stringent action to be taken against the nursery would be going 'live' soon and said her Facebook page on the issue had garnered almost 800 shares.?
In a statement Kirklees Council said: 'The immediate cause of the incident was not closing the door to the kitchenette, but officers found it was not the only contributing factor to this incident'
The Ofsted report said: 'On 28 September we carried out an unannounced visit and we identified significant health, hygiene and safety concerns.
'These concerns included a dirty and musty smelling milk kitchen. We found torn nappy changing mats, dirty toys, chairs, seat coverings, floors, changing tables and equipment in all areas, indoors and outdoors.
'We found children had access to wires, cables and a loose cable holder. We found that fresh milk was left out of the fridge on two occasions.
'A child?had not been recorded in the attendance register. All of these issues significantly compromised the children's health, safety and their welfare.
'Following our visit we served a welfare requirements notice on the provider.'?
Following the incident, Sarah said: 'I am absolutely not happy. I would like to see the nursery prosecuted or shut down. I will be looking at taking this further. Giving it a caution is not good enough'
A second unannounced visit as recently as November 10 to discuss further what had happened to Reuben still found cause for concern.?
The report continued: 'We found a number of breaches that contributed to this incident.
'Staff/child ratios were not met and deployment of staff was?poor in the baby room. Risk assessments were inadequate which resulted in a child opening a safety barrier, accessing a milk kitchen and reaching a bowl of hot water.
'No clear guidance was available on how to warm bottles safely. First aid was administered immediately, however, at one point, flannels were placed on a burn.
'We found there was a delay in contacting the emergency services and parents.'?
A second unannounced visit as recently as November 10 to discuss further what had happened to Reuben still found cause for concern
Councillor Naheed Mather, Cabinet lead for enforcement, said: 'Whilst the council has issued a caution in this instance it does not detract from the seriousness of the incident.
'I would like to remind all premises how dangerous breaches of health and safety such as this can be.'
Nursery director Chris Stoker said: 'The nursery recognise the impact that this accident has had on Reuben and his family and understand their thoughts and feelings as no child should ever have to experience an accident of this nature.
'Throughout the investigation into how this happened this has been at the forefront of our focus, ensuring that what Reuben went through can never happen to another child.'
Most watched News videos
- Horrifying moment dashcam shows lorry ploughing into two cars
- Heroic neighbours rescue woman after attack by two dogs
- Moment thrill seeking base jumpers leap from 530ft Beachy Head
- Cruise ship sprayed down after passengers struck down by gastro
- Snake lunges at Toff as she's suspended in the air during trial
- 'Hypocrite' Nigel Farage refuses to hand back ￡73,000 EU pension
- Heartbreaking footage shows helpless puppies rescued from tar
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- Knife-wielding moped robbers raid building on Fleet Street
- Nigel Farage defends Donald Trump retweeting Britain First
- DUP leader lashes out at Irish government over Belfast agreement
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.