Homeless man, 36, is hailed a hero after rescuing three-year-old girl and 10-month-old baby boy from burning apartment

  • Anival Angulo saved a three-year-old girl and a 10-month-old baby boy from a burning apartment building in Las Vegas, Nevada on Friday?
  • The homeless man, 36, noticed the building on fire as he was walking down East Mesquite Ave late Friday morning?
  • He heard children crying so he ran to the building and ripped open the door to the living room to rescue the two kids
  • Fire officials say that without Angulo, the children would likely have died
  • Instead, they were taken to the hospital for minor smoke inhalation issues ?
  • They say the fire started in the kitchen, while the children were being watched by their grandfather?
  • Because the fire spread so quickly, the grandfather was not able to get around it to rescue the kids himself?
  • Other Good Samaritans helped the grandfather escape through a window in the back bedroom ?

A homeless man is credited with saving the lives of a three-year-old girl and 10-month-old baby boy who became trapped in a burning Las Vegas apartment building on Friday.?

Anival Angulo was walking on East Mesquite Ave around 11:30am when he noticed smoke coming from a squat beige apartment building.?

The 36-year-old homeless man then heard the cries of children coming from the building and jumped into action.

Scroll down for video?

Homeless man Anival Angulo, 36 (pictured), rescued a toddler girl and a baby boy from a burning apartment on Friday?

Homeless man Anival Angulo, 36 (pictured), rescued a toddler girl and a baby boy from a burning apartment on Friday?

Angulo jumped into action late Friday morning, when he saw smoke coming from this Las Vegas apartment?

Angulo jumped into action late Friday morning, when he saw smoke coming from this Las Vegas apartment?

He ripped the security gate off of this home to rescue a three-year-old girl and 10-month-old boy trapped inside?

He ripped the security gate off of this home to rescue a three-year-old girl and 10-month-old boy trapped inside?

The fire started in the kitchen, where some grease caught fire. The children were being watched by their grandfather at the time, who became trapped in the back of the house

He found that the cries were coming from the home's living room, where he could see a little girl struggling to get out - unable to open the home's security gate.?

'I just knew I had to get them out,' he told local News 3 Las Vegas.

Unable to unlock the door from the outside, Angulo started ripping the door from its frame and eventually the deadbolt unlocked.?

'The little girl ran to him and wrapped her arms around his waist,' Las Vegas Fire & Rescue said in a statement about the incident.?

After rescuing the little girl, Angulo noticed the leg of an infant back inside the house, so he braved the flames and pulled a baby boy to safety as well.?

Other Good Samaritans helped the grandfather escape through a back window of the home?

Other Good Samaritans helped the grandfather escape through a back window of the home?

The fire gutted the kitchen and living room and caused about $50,00 in damage?

The fire gutted the kitchen and living room and caused about $50,00 in damage?

The Red Cross says its helping three adults displaced by the fire?

The Red Cross says its helping three adults displaced by the fire?

Fire officials called Angulo a 'TRUE HERO' and said without his help, the children likely would have died?

Fire officials called Angulo a 'TRUE HERO' and said without his help, the children likely would have died?

Soon after, firefighters arrived at the scene and were able to put the blaze out in about 10 minutes.?

Fire officials say that without Angulo's help, the two kids likely would have died. Instead, they were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and are expected to survive.?

'Without the quick action of Angulo, the children would have probably suffered severe smoke inhalation with burns. His action certainly saved the children’s life,' the fire department said.?

The fire department called Angulo 'a TRUE HERO'.??

The fire started in the kitchen, where some cooking grease ignited.?

The kids were being watched by their grandfather at the time, but the fire spread so fast that it effectively cut through half the building and he wasn't able to get to where they were.?

Other Good Samaritans helped him escape through a window at the rear of the home.?

The fire gutted the kitchen and living room and caused about $50,000 in damage. The Red Cross says its helping three adults and a child who were displaced by the fire.??

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.