Horrifying moment gang wielding machetes and a samurai sword raid luxury watch store on London's Fleet Street
- Gang used moped to smash through glass front door of Chronext watch store?
- Shocking footage shows one member of the gang waving huge samurai sword?
- Two others can be seen brandishing knife and iron bars at 11am this morning?
- City of London Police are now investigating but no one has been arrested yet
This is the horrifying moment a machete-wielding gang on mopeds stole thousands of pounds worth of watches as they raided a luxury store today.
The gang used a moped to smash through the glass front door of the Chronext store on Fleet Street in the City of London at about 11am.
Shocking footage shows one member of the gang waving a huge samurai sword while two others brandish a knife and iron bars.
Shocking footage shows one member of the gang waving a huge samurai sword (right)
Two of the gang members could be seen brandishing a knife and iron bars during the raid
Further thieves were said to have been inside the store smashing the cabinets and grabbing lots of watches and stuffing them into bags.
Witnesses claimed the criminals jumped on their scooters and punched the air in victory before driving off towards the law courts nearby.
One witness told the London Evening Standard: 'There was a Vespa inside the shop because they drove it through the front door.
'I saw about five mopeds parked up on the pavement and the street outside and there were three guys walking up and down.'
Another said: 'They came outside with bags. Then they made off towards the Royal Courts of Justice, pumping their fists in the air like some kind of victory.
'There are about 40 people here in my office. It was very frightening – people were crying in the office. It was like something you see on Netflix or in the movies.'?
The machete-wielding gang on mopeds stole thousands of pounds worth of watches today
One of the gang can be seen driving off from the Chronext store on Fleet Street in London
Witnesses claimed the criminals jumped on their scooters and drove off towards the law courts
Police are currently battling an epidemic of moped-related crime in the capital
A police spokesman said: 'City of London Police were called at 10.52am on Monday 4 December to reports of suspects on mopeds entering a jewellers on Fleet Street.
'The suspects smashed their way into the jewellers brandishing weapons, including knives, before making off on mopeds. Officers are on scene. No one was injured.'
No one has been arrested following the incident.?Police are currently battling an epidemic of moped-related crime in the capital.
More than 8,000 offences were carried out by criminals on mopeds in London last year. The figure is 16 times what is was five years before ago.
Thugs favour the bikes because they are easy to get away on and, if they remove their helmets, police can be reluctant to chase them in case the criminals are hurt.
Most watched News videos
- Knife-wielding moped robbers raid building on Fleet Street
- 'Hypocrite' Nigel Farage refuses to hand back ￡73,000 EU pension
- Moment thrill seeking base jumpers leap from 530ft Beachy Head
- Horrifying moment dashcam shows lorry ploughing into two cars
- Nigel Farage defends Donald Trump retweeting Britain First
- DUP leader lashes out at Irish government over Belfast agreement
- Snake lunges at Toff as she's suspended in the air during trial
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Sir Elton on stage in Barcelona just hours before his mother died
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.