Father, 21, appears in court charged with murder after nine-week-old baby girl was rushed from her home and died in hospital
- The nine-week-old baby was found seriously ill at a house in Dover and later died
- James Ring, the baby's father, was charged with her murder by police last week?
- He appeared at Maidstone Crown Court on Friday and was remanded in custody
James Ring has appeared in court charged with the murder of his nine-week-old daughter
A man has appeared in court charged with the murder of his nine-week-old daughter.
The baby, named as Aria, was found seriously ill at a house in Crabble, Dover, on January 7 and was rushed to hospital in London but died two days later, Kent Police said.
James Ring, originally from the Crabble area but who had been on bail at an address in north Kent before his arrest, appeared at Maidstone Crown Court on Friday via video-link.
The 21-year-old, wearing a beige sweatshirt, spoke only to confirm his name and that he could hear the proceedings.
He was first arrested in connection with the death in January, but was released on bail and charged this week, Kent Police said.
Ring first appeared at Medway Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday facing two charges - one count of unlawfully killing Aria and a second count of murder.?
No more details of the alleged offence emerged in the brief hearing at crown court on Friday.
The case was adjourned until January 5 for a plea and trial preparation, and a preliminary date for trial was set for May.?
No further details of the alleged offence were read out at Maidstone Crown Court and Ring was remanded in custody?
Christopher Wray, defending, said the case involved complex medical issues and Ring will be represented at his trial by Oliver Saxby QC.
A bail application will be heard by trial judge Philip Statman next week, but he told Ring that until then he would remain at Elmley Prison.
He said: 'I am satisfied so I am sure that this is a case where at the current time the defendant should remain in custody.
'Of course, my mind is not closed to any issues that arise thereafter. We are in the early stages and an application for bail will be made next week.'
Ring was remanded in custody.?
Most watched News videos
- Horrifying moment dashcam shows lorry ploughing into two cars
- Moment thrill seeking base jumpers leap from 530ft Beachy Head
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- Snake lunges at Toff as she's suspended in the air during trial
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Nigel Farage defends Donald Trump retweeting Britain First
- Knife-wielding moped robbers raid building on Fleet Street
- DUP leader lashes out at Irish government over Belfast agreement
- 'Hypocrite' Nigel Farage refuses to hand back ￡73,000 EU pension
- Sir Elton on stage in Barcelona just hours before his mother died
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.