Matt Lauer and his wife 'have been living apart for years' as their marriage has been 'rife with discord because of his womanizing' to the point that he 'offered her $5million to withdraw her divorce petition'
- Matt Lauer and his wife, Annette Roque, have been living apart for years, it was reported on Saturday?
- The now-disgraced former Today show host has been mostly holed up in his apartment on Park Avenue in Manhattan?
- Roque, his former model wife, is reportedly staying with their three children at their Long Island mansion in Sag Harbor
- Lauer was fired late Tuesday as host of NBC's flagship morning show after over 20 years as co-anchor?
- The dismissal came as a result of sexual harassment complaints from an NBC employee?
- Since news of Lauer's firing, at least seven other women have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct
- Lauer's history of infidelity reportedly forced his wife to keep close tabs on him when he took trips abroad because she didn't trust him?
- When Roque sought to divorce Lauer years ago, Lauer reportedly offered her $5million in cash to remain in the marriage
- It was also reported that Lauer would buy his wife, an avid equestrian, a $100,000 horse as a way to make up for his cheating?
Matt Lauer and his wife, Annette Roque, have been living apart for years, it was reported on Saturday.
The now-disgraced former Today show host has been mostly holed up in his apartment on Park Avenue in Manhattan while his former model wife stays at their Long Island mansion, Page Six is reporting.
Lauer was fired late Tuesday as host of NBC's flagship morning show after over 20 years as co-anchor.
The dismissal came as a result of sexual harassment complaints from an NBC employee.
Since news of Lauer's firing, at least seven other women have come?forward with allegations of sexual misconduct.
Matt Lauer and his wife, Annette Roque, have been living apart for years, it was reported on Saturday. The couple is seen above in Bridgehampton, New York on September 1, 2013
The now-disgraced former Today show host has been mostly holed up in his apartment on Park Avenue in Manhattan while his former model wife stays at their Long Island mansion. The couple is seen in Bridgehampton, New York on August 31, 2014
While much of the country was shocked by the news given Lauer's squeaky clean image as a wholesome good guy, those who knew the couple say that he was a bad husband.
Lauer's history of infidelity reportedly forced his wife to keep close tabs on him when he took trips abroad because she didn't trust him.
When Roque sought to divorce Lauer years ago, Lauer reportedly offered her $5million in cash to remain in the marriage.
The image-conscious Lauer made the cash offer because he was reportedly so concerned about how a divorce might be perceived by his audience.
Lauer's alleged philandering ways put a strain on his marriage to the point where he reportedly lived separately at his Manhattan apartment during the week while his family stayed out on Long Island. Media members are seen outside Lauer's apartment on Friday
The Upper East Side apartment at 133 East 64th Street was also the address of Bernie Madoff, the infamous Ponzi schemer. Madoff is seen above in 2009
Lauer and Roque met on a blind date in 1997, the same year he took over as co-anchor of Today in place of the departing Bryant Gumbel.
While Lauer rose to television stardom with his Today show gig, Roque has been featured in Victoria's Secret catalogs as well as in advertisements for J. Crew.?
According to Page Six, Lauer, who had a reputation as a philanderer, was urged to settle down and get married by NBC executives who were concerned that his playboy image would hurt the Today show given its heavily female viewership.
Lauer and Roque were married less than a year after they met, but it was a tumultuous union, according to Page Six.
Three years after the birth of their first child, Jack, in 2003, Lauer and Roque separated after the newsman returned from covering the Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy.
Rumors swirled that Lauer was having an affair with Natalie Moralies, who was then a correspondent for the Today show. Both have vehemently denied the rumors.
Nonetheless, Roque, who was seven months pregnant at the time, filed for divorce from Lauer, whom she accused of 'cruel and inhumane' treatment and 'extremely controlling' behavior.
'Defendant has continuously and repeatedly given higher priority to… personal interests than his family obligations to plaintiff, causing plaintiff to feel abandoned, isolated and alone in raising the parties' children,' according to court papers, which were leaked in 2014.
Roque would eventually withdraw her petition for divorce three weeks before giving birth to the couple's second child, Thijs.
There was no explanation given for why Roque had second thoughts about the divorce, though it was reported that Lauer offered her $5million to remain in the marriage.
'Matt needed to stay in the marriage to keep his reputation as America's nicest dad,' according to a source quoted by Page Six.
'He is in fact a… very doting dad to his kids, but he is also a terrible husband.'
Things appeared to be fine – until Lauer returned from covering the Olympics in Vancouver in early 2010.
After news reports emerged suggesting that Lauer partied hard in Canada, Roque reportedly was so angry that she and her husband began living separately.
Since 2011, Roque and her three children were reportedly living in their home in Sag Harbor, while Lauer stayed in Manhattan during the week.
The Upper East Side apartment at 133 East 64th Street was also the address of Bernie Madoff, the infamous Ponzi schemer.?
On weekends, Lauer would reportedly make the trip to Long Island to join them.
Lauer's Sag Harbor estate is one of a number of swanky Long Island properties that the former Today co-host owns
There is an 8,000-square-foot home built in 2001 along with a tennis court and multiple secret gardens on the Sag Harbor estate
'They play happy families at their Hamptons home on weekends, and then she lets him run off to New York to do "Today" - and goodness knows what else,' RadarOnline quoted one source as saying.
Despite her celebrity status, Roque is rarely seen in public.
When she does appear, it is usually to attend the Hampton Classic horse show. Roque and her daughter are avid equestrians.
In 2012, Lauer purchased a 40-acre property near their Long Island home and converted it into a horse farm with stables for 36 animals, 16 paddocks, two outdoor riding rings, cross-country trails, and a climate-controlled indoor ring.
Lauer even owns five horses himself, but it was been widely rumored that the horses were a gift to his wife whenever she caught him cheating.
Locals who see Lauer near his Manhattan apartment say that they cannot recall ever seeing him and his wife together dining.
Lauer is known to be a frequent customer at Donahue's Steak House, a whiskey bar across the street from his apartment.
Neighbors told Page Six they see Lauer there at least three nights a week – but he's on his own.??
Most watched News videos
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
- Earl Kimrey charged with the death of 3-year-old Mariah Miller
- Sir Elton on stage in Barcelona just hours before his mother died
- Horrifying moment dashcam shows lorry ploughing into two cars
- Moment thrill seeking base jumpers leap from 530ft Beachy Head
- Nigel Farage defends Donald Trump retweeting Britain First
- Snake lunges at Toff as she's suspended in the air during trial
- Trump ‘not worried’ about Michael Flynn’s guilty Russia plea
- Knife-wielding moped robbers raid building on Fleet Street
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.