Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush steps down as AACTA President while allegations of 'inappropriate behaviour' are examined

  • Rush has stepped down as president of academy of Australia's screen industry
  • The Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts accepted Rush's decision
  • Sydney Theatre Company got complaint about alleged 'inappropriate behaviour'
  • Rush has denied allegations of misconduct, made by a female King Lear co-star

Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush has stepped down as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts.

Rush announced his decision on Saturday, only days before he was to open the 7th Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards with Rebel Wilson.

AACTA said in a statement it accepted and respected Rush's decision to voluntarily step aside.

Earlier this week The Daily Telegraph published allegations Rush was engaged in 'inappropriate behaviour' during a Sydney Theatre Company production.

Rush strongly denies the allegations, calling it a 'denial of natural justice' that the STC would make it public without even tell him details of the complaint.

Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush (pictured with AACTA ambassador Cate Blanchett) has stepped down as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts

Oscar winner Geoffrey Rush (pictured with AACTA ambassador Cate Blanchett) has stepped down as president of the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts

AACTA said in a statement it accepted and respected Rush's (pictured) decision to voluntarily step aside

AACTA said in a statement it accepted and respected Rush's (pictured) decision to voluntarily step aside

In a statement made through his lawyer?Nicholas Pullen, the actor said he was stepping aside 'effective immediately and until these issues have been resolved'.

'Certain recent media reports have made untenable allegations concerning my standing in the entertainment community.?

'It is unreasonable that my professional colleagues should be somehow associated with such allegations.

'This decision has not been made lightly. However, in the current climate of innuendo and unjustifiable reporting, I believe the decision to make a clean break to clear the air is the best for all concerned.'

In a statement made through his lawyer Nicholas Pullen, the actor (pictured with Nicole Kidman) said he was stepping aside 'effective immediately and until these issues have been resolved'

In a statement made through his lawyer Nicholas Pullen, the actor (pictured with Nicole Kidman) said he was stepping aside 'effective immediately and until these issues have been resolved'

The STC confirmed it received a complaint, which is believed to relate to the theater's staging of William Shakespeare's King Lear two years ago.

The STC has not disclosed details of the allegation.?

It said the complainant requested that the allegation be dealt with confidentially, and did not want Rush notified or involved in any investigation.?

Early this week The Daily Telegraph published allegations Rush was engaged in 'inappropriate behaviour' during a Sydney Theatre Company production (pictured)

Early this week The Daily Telegraph published allegations Rush was engaged in 'inappropriate behaviour' during a Sydney Theatre Company production (pictured)

Former STC artistic director Andrew Upton said in a statement he was unaware of allegations against Rush until the media reported them, News.com.au?reported.

Upton, married to AACTA ambassador Cate Blanchett, said he left the production of King Lear in 2015.

'The?complaint in regard to Mr Rush, of which Andrew was unaware, was registered after King Lear had closed in 2016,' he said.

The STC confirmed it received a complaint, which is believed to relate to the theater's staging of William Shakespeare's King Lear (pictured) two years ago

The STC confirmed it received a complaint, which is believed to relate to the theater's staging of William Shakespeare's King Lear (pictured) two years ago

Rush's lawyers said his 'regard, actions and treatment of all the people he has worked with has been impeccable beyond reproach.'?

The 66-year-old Australian actor won the 1997 best actor Academy Award for 'Shine' and has three other Oscar nominations.?

He has performed at the Sydney theater for 35 years, and is perhaps best known as Captain Barbossa in the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films.?

Rush (pictured, right) announced his decision on Saturday, only days before he was to open the 7th Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards with Rebel Wilson (pictured, left)

Rush (pictured, right) announced his decision on Saturday, only days before he was to open the 7th Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts Awards with Rebel Wilson (pictured, left)

?

?

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.