Father is charged with murder after traumatized seven-year-old finds her mom's bloody body in the basement and tells her teacher 'I don't want to be next'
- Benjamin Byers, 45, was charged Thursday with second-degree murder, armed criminal action, abandonment of a corpse and child endangerment
- His seven-year-old daughter found her mother's body in the basement
- She told a school counselor saying she 'didn't want to be next' and saw 'lots of blood'
A Kansas City man has been charged with murder after the couple's seven-year-old daughter told a school counselor there was a body in their basement.
Benjamin Byers, 45, was charged Thursday with second-degree murder, armed criminal action, abandonment of a corpse and child endangerment in the death of Melissa Byers.
Byers allegedly stabbed his wife to death. Authorities say the child later told investigators that she 'didn't want to be next'.?
A police detective wrote in the probable cause statement that the girl talked to a counselor Wednesday, one day after finding 'lots of blood' and glimpsing a body in the basement with a 'stab on the back'.?
Benjamin Byers, 45, was charged Thursday with second-degree murder, armed criminal action, abandonment of a corpse and child endangerment after his seven-year-old daughter found her mother Melissa Byers' body in the basement
She told a forensic interviewer that the face was covered but that the sweater on the body was her mother's. The girl hadn't seen her mother since school pickup on Monday.
The girl said she was leaving the basement when she received a call from her mother's boyfriend, who said he was coming over.?
She said her father started acting 'suspicious,' closing all the blinds and locking the door, according to the probable cause statement, which doesn't say whether the girl's father and mother were estranged.?
A police spokesman, Darin Snapp, said in an email Friday that 'as far as we know they still lived together.'
The girl told a school counselor she found her mother's body in the basement of their house on the?2400 College Ave block in Kansas City, Missouri
The girl didn't tell the boyfriend or father what she had seen in the basement. She told the forensic interviewer her father had been acting 'weird' and that she 'didn't want to be next,' the detective wrote.
After the girl's school contacted police, officers went to the home, where Benjamin Byers said he didn't know his wife's whereabouts.
Officers found blood throughout the house and a large section of carpet that appeared to have been removed from the dining room.
After obtaining a search warrant, Melissa Byers' body was found in the basement covered with carpet, plastic, sheets and clothing.?
Bloody drag marks were seen on the basement stairs. Police also saw signs that efforts had been made to clean up the dining room, living room, kitchen and bathroom.
Byers declined to talk to detectives after the body was found.
Bond is set at $500,000. No attorney is listed for him in online court records.?
Most watched News videos
- Wild fight erupts between teacher and student inside classroom
- Soldier surprises his 76ers dancer by returning from deployment
- Earl Kimrey charged with the death of 3-year-old Mariah Miller
- Billy Bush talks to Stephen Colbert about being fire from Today
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
- VERY relaxed wombat finds the perfect place to cool down
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Persons of interest in the death of Sydney Loofe release video
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- The Grinch! Woman takes Christmas decorations from Texas porch