Megyn Kelly says Roger Ailes grabbed her and tried to make out with her in his locked office three times before asking when her contract expired
- Kelly spoke out about Ailes Wednesday at a conference in New York
- Alleged harassment dates from her early days at Fox News a decade ago
- Claims 'explicit quid pro quo sexual harassment' from then-Fox president Ailes
- Ailes was ousted over harassment allegations in 2016 and died in May of 2017?
Television journalist Megyn Kelly has spoken out about former Fox News President Roger Ailes, claiming he grabbed her and tried to make out with her three times before asking when her 'contract was up'.
Kelly spoke on Wednesday at the Business Insider IGNITION conference in New York, elaborating on the alleged sexual harassment by Ailes that she first described in her memoirs last year.
Ailes, who was ousted from his powerful position at Fox over sexual harassment allegations in the summer of 2016, died in May of this year.
Kelly told Business Insider's Allyson Shontell that the harassment occurred not long after she joined Fox as a young reporter in 2004.?
Kelly (left) spoke on Wednesday at a conference in New York, elaborating on the alleged sexual harassment by Ailes (right) that she first described in her memoirs
'I was scared when it happened to me, I was a second-year reporter at Fox. I wasn't the me that I am now, I had no power in the industry at all, and no power at Fox News,' said Kelly.?
Kelly, who now hosts a morning show on NBC, was at that time a legal reporter in Fox's Washington DC bureau.?
'He was always bawdy and had an inappropriate sense of humor... but I've never been somebody who really takes offense at that,' she recalled of Ailes.
'And so I was quick to write off the comments in the beginning,' Kelly continued.?
'The harassment that I went through wasn't obviously harassment in the beginning, and then it graduated, it just got worse and worse,' Kelly said.?
'It was explicit quid pro quo sexual harassment, which was basically: You sleep with me, and I'll give you a promotion,' Kelly said.
'That feeling I'll never forget — of going in there and having him lock that door,' Kelly said.?
'It culminated in him trying to be with me physically, and it was only at that point where you couldn't pretend it wasn't happening anymore that I really had to come to terms with it. And I ran out of the guy's office; he tried to grab me three times and make out with me,' she said.
Kelly (left) told Business Insider's Allyson Shontell that the harassment occurred not long after she joined Fox as a young reporter in 2004
'When I shoved him off the third time he asked me when my contract was up,' she said.
Kelly said that she reported the incident to a supervisor who just said to 'steer clear' of Ailes, advice she though seemed sound at the time.
The TV journalist encouraged other women in the field to come forward, which has been rocked by a string of explosive allegations in recent days, including against her NBC colleague Matt Lauer.?
'I want to say to those women: I understand. It's not that I'm oblivious of how hard it is to report,' Kelly said.?
'But I want to say: find a way. Because the culture — I don't want to say has changed, but it is changing, meaningfully, by the moment, thanks to the women that are finding the courage.'?
Most watched News videos
- Wild fight erupts between teacher and student inside classroom
- Billy Bush talks to Stephen Colbert about being fire from Today
- Soldier surprises his 76ers dancer by returning from deployment
- Persons of interest in the death of Sydney Loofe release video
- VERY relaxed wombat finds the perfect place to cool down
- The Grinch! Woman takes Christmas decorations from Texas porch
- Trouble in paradise: Two seniors brawl during Caribbean holiday
- Melanie Martinez at 'American Horror Story' premiere in L.A.
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
- Dash cam footage shows Randy Travis naked during a 2012 arrest
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!