Washington college student, 19, now 'owes' $200,000 to children's hospital after pleding to donate 25 cents for every favorite and 50 cents for every retweet
- Danni Messina, 19, started an online drive promising to donate money to a children's hospital
- The campaign quickly turned into a viral phenomenon, garnering over 200,000 retweets and more than 450,000
- Messina now 'owes' more than $200,000 to?St. Jude Children's Hospital
- The college student said she was originally inspired a friend spending the Thanksgiving holiday in a hospital
Danni Messina (pictured), 19, started an online drive promising to donate money to a children's hospital
Washington State University student Danni Messina took to social media this week with a charitable idea in mind.
She posted a message to Twitter pledging 50 cents for every retweet and 25 cents for every 'favorite' received, promising to?take the money and donate it to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in nearby Seattle.
But the campaign quickly?turned into a viral phenomenon, garnering over 200,000 retweets and more than 450,000 favorites in just a few days.
The pledge now has the 19-year-old owing the hospital more than $200,000.
'I was originally planning on donating personally $1,000,' she told?CBS News.??
Scroll down for video?
The campaign quickly turned into a viral phenomenon, garnering over 200,000 retweets and more than 450,000
The college student said she was originally inspired a friend spending the Thanksgiving holiday in a hospital
Messina thought the campaign would attract a handful of interactions from her friends and followers, but by the next day the post had spread like wildfire through the Internet, forcing her to call off the drive, she told KREM.?
'Wowza ok - so we are stopping it here,' she tweeted on November 27.??
?Despite the tremendous sum, Messina in determined to keep her promise and has turned to the public for help
By Wednesday morning, the total tweet count shows a total 200,304 retweets and 464,151 Likes.?
Despite the tremendous sum, Messina in determined to keep her promise and has setup a GoFundMe page in order to ask the public for their assistance.
'I tweeted because I had absolutely no idea there would be that much support around the idea,' Messina said.?
'So, unfortunately, I don't have the funds to support this, but here is a link to donate to one of the best hospitals there is.'?
The page has already raised more than $11,050 from 775 donors as of Wednesday morning. She set the price goal at $50,000.
'Love that you're doing this! Keep it up!' one person commented.
'Thanks for having this idea and using social media for good and not harm. Good luck!' another wrote.
The college student said she was originally inspired a friend spending the Thanksgiving holiday in a hospital instead of at home with his family. ?
'I am still in shock. I think it's so incredible that people are donating because they saw my tweet,' she said.
?'I love the awareness part of it, and it's been awesome talking to St. Jude more.'?
Most watched News videos
- Officer fires gunshots at shoplifter who was holding 'fake gun'
- Dad fight! Georgia and Georgia Tech fans got at it in stands
- Footage shows moment after officer shot man with 'fake gun'
- Ram charges into deer but soon regrets it as they battle in field
- Man freaks out and shoots spider with his gun while smoking
- Trump makes a 'Pocahontas' Elizabeth Warren joke at Navajo event
- Girl dangles from window as boy tries to sneak her into room
- 'This one hits close to home': Megyn Kelly on Matt Lauer scandal
- Thieving bird takes off with unsuspecting customer's money
- NBC News has fired popular 'Today' show host Matt Lauer
- Talkative dog lets out a series of howls during bath time
- Hilarious moment playful husky jumps around on trampoline
The comments below have not been moderated.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.