Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush, 66, denies a claim of 'inappropriate behaviour over months' on the set of King Lear theatre production in Sydney
- Geoffrey Rush denies allegation of 'inappropriate behaviour' on King Lear set
- Misconduct allegedly went on for months of the Shakespeare play's 2015-16 run
- Alleged complaint received by Sydney Theatre Company after play's run ended
- Rush's lawyers have strenuously denied the claim against the Oscar-winning star
- Do you know more? Email [email protected]?
Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush has strenuously denied a claim of 'inappropriate behaviour' during a production of Shakespeare play King Lear.
Sydney Theatre Company (STC) said it received a complaint after the play's run was over in January 2016, and that the alleged misconduct went on for months.
The Australian actor vigorously denied the claim, with his lawyers telling the Daily Telegraph he never heard of any alleged complaint from the Company or the complainant about the 'matter'.
Oscar-winning actor Geoffrey Rush (right) has strenuously denied a claim of 'inappropriate behaviour' during a production of Shakespeare play King Lear (pictured)
Rush vigorously denied the claim, through his lawyers, saying he never heard of any alleged complaint from the Company or the complainant
STC said the alleged complainant requested to remain anonymous and it would thus not comment further.?
The Shakespeare play ran from November 2015 to January 2016 in the Roslyn Packer Theatre starring Rush in the title role of King Lear.
Rush's lawyers HWL Ebsworth said the 66-year-old was not approached by either the STC or the complainant, or representatives thereof, about a complaint.
The Shakespeare play ran from November 2015 to January 2016 in the Roslyn Packer Theatre starring Rush (centre, sitting) in the title role of King Lear
'Further, he has not been informed by them of the nature of the complaint and what it involves,' they said.
'In the circumstances, if such statement has been issued by the STC it is both irresponsible and highly damaging to say the least.
'Your understanding of what has occurred is, with the greatest respect, simply fishing and unfounded.
'It does not warrant comment except that it is false and untrue.'
Daily Mail Australia contacted STC and?HWL Ebsworth for further comment.
Rush has been married to Jane Menelaus since 1988, with whom he has a daughter Angelica born in 1992, and a son James born in 1995.
He was named Australian of the Year in 2012 for his services to acting, having achieved the elusive 'triple crown' of winning an Oscar, Emmy and Tony award.
Rush (pictured with Nicole Kidman in 2015) was nominated for Academy Awards for roles in Shakespeare in Love, Quills, and most recently The King's Speech and won for Shine in 1996
Rush's performance in King Lear was praised by theatre critics even though they noted some flaws with the overall production.
'From the moment a bandy-legged, wobbly-limbed Rush ambles forward to utter theatre's most ill-fated demand – "Which of you shall we say doth love us most?" – he is neither too blustery or too brutish,' the Guardian wrote.
His career started on stage with the Queensland Theatre Company when his talent was spotted while he was studying at the University of Queensland.
Rush's first play was Wrong Side of the Moon in 1971 and he regularly performed on stage even after his film career began in 1981.
He only appeared in five films before his breakout role in 1996 as David Helfgott in Shine, for which he won an Oscar for best actor.
The thespian was later nominated for Academy Awards for roles in Shakespeare in Love, Quills, and most recently The King's Speech.
He also won two Golden Globes with three nominations, three BAFTAs, one Tony, one Emmy, and two Helpmann stage awards.
Most watched News videos
- Savannah Guthrie 'heartbroken' over Matt Lauer scandal
- Lip reading: Harry describes moment he knew they were meant to be
- Meghan Markle's beloved rescue dogs seen in old Instagram video
- NBC News has fired popular 'Today' show host Matt Lauer
- Meghan Markle reveals she has moved her dog to the UK
- Behind the scenes: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle goof around
- Meghan Markle's ex is spotted on the day of her engagement
- Serena Williams posts video of her tropical honeymoon villa
- Footage of cabin where woman was kept as a sex slave for 10 years
- 'This one hits close to home': Megyn Kelly on Matt Lauer scandal
- Terrifying moment tourist is attacked by crocodile
- Bosnian Croat wartime suspect drinks poison during sentencing
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.