African migrants being sold as slaves by Libyan human traffickers 'have their organs harvested, bodies mutilated and roasted like kebabs' claims Nigerian ex-minister
- Femi Fani-Kayode, Nigeria's former aviation minister, made shocking claim today
- He said Nigerian slaves have their organs harvested before they are roasted alive
- Comes as special report reveals migrants are sold as slaves for as little as ￡665
Femi Fani-Kayode (pictured), a onetime aviation minister in Nigeria, claimed that 75 per cent of the slaves who have their organs harvested are from his country
A former Nigerian government minister has claimed that migrants from his country are having their organs harvested after being sold into slavery in Libya.
Femi Fani-Kayode, a onetime aviation minister in Nigeria, claimed that 75 per cent of slaves who have their organs harvested in North Africa are from his country.
The Cambridge University-educated lawyer added that the victims have their 'bodies mutilated' and are 'roasted like suya [shish kebabs]'.
He went on: 'Roasted alive! This is what Libyans do to sub-Saharan Africans who are looking for a transit point to Europe.
'They sell them into slavery and either murder, mutilate, torture or work them to death.'???????
Fani-Kayode, writing on Twitter, also bemoaned the overthrow of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi and attacked Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari for 'remaining silent' about slavery.?
It comes after a shocking report revealed that migrants and refugees are being sold as slaves by human traffickers in Libya for as little as a few hundred pounds.
After EU efforts to block migrants from crossing the Mediterranean from Libya, thousands are left stranded the hands of the human traffickers, some of whom are selling them as slaves
Thousands of migrants still arrive in Libya, many from sub-Saharan Africa and Africa's Horn in the hope of crossing the Mediterranean.
Libya, a country in chaos since the overthrow of longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, more or less shirks any responsibility for the thousands of people stranded on the banks of the Med.
While some are sent to detention centres, many are simply left in the hands of the human traffickers whom they had either paid or to whom they owe substantial sums.?
Video obtained by CNN shows a slave auction in Libya where Nigerian men are being sold as?'big strong boys for farm work.'
In the video, the auctioneer can be heard shouting prices, before one of the men is sold for 1,200 Libyan dinars - the equivalent of about $800 or ￡665.?
Channel cites Trump in CNN attack
Some outlets among the Libyan media are not impressed by the reporting of the slavery story by US broadcaster CNN - and have used the American president to refute it.?
Libyan broadcaster 218 used a Donald Trump tweet from the weekend - wherein he attacks CNN as 'fake news' - to question the slavery report's credibility.?
Libyan broadcaster 218 used a Donald Trump tweet from the weekend - wherein he attacks CNN as 'fake news' - to question the slavery report's credibility
It explained:?'Here the possibility arises that the channel has published the report of slavery in Libya to secure an as yet hidden political objective.'
The channel also linked Trump's tweet with CNN's slavery report, implying a connection between the two.?
Trump's tweet read: 'CNN International is still a major source of (Fake) news, and they represent our Nation to the WORLD very poorly. The outside world does not see the truth from them!'??
Horrifying: Video of a slave auction in Libya shows Nigerian men are being sold as 'big strong boys for farm work' for 1,200 Libyan dinars - the equivalent of $800 or ￡665 (stock image)
There have been several reports on torture and abuse in the many detention centres in Libya, many of which are run by local militias due to the current power vacuum.
Last month, the president of Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) called for EU aid to stop, saying Libya's detention of migrants 'must be named for what it is: a thriving enterprise of kidnapping, torture and extortion.'
Detainees told MSF how men are forced to run naked in the courtyard until they collapse from exhaustion, while women are raped and made to call family back home for money to free them.????
Most watched News videos
- Bye, Felicia! Robin Roberts throws serious shade at Omarosa
- North Korea appears to reveal image of Kim Jong-il with atomic bomb
- The Royals arrive at the Grenfell Tower fire memorial service
- Horrifying moment group of terrified deer jump from bridge
- Moment government is humiliated after losing crucial Brexit vote
- Shocking video shows couple having SEX on a beach in middle of day
- Security evacuates FCC's net neutrality meeting after bomb threat
- Horrifying moment woman is pushed in front of train in Bucharest
- Puppy power! Baby gets group hug by six adorable baby Mastiffs
- Video claims to show arrest in Salford after 'deliberate' fire
- Hillary spotted wearing surgical boot while promoting her book
- Royal Family and Prime Minister attend Grenfell Memorial