'We prevented a catastrophe': Two teenagers, 16 and 18, charged with plotting Columbine-style attack on a school using firearms and explosives
- Two boys have been charged with planning a school shooting in South Australia
- Police foiled a plot by the teenagers, aged 16 and 18, to use guns and explosives
- SA police said this is as close to a US school shooting as Australia had ever come
Two teenage boys have been charged with planning a 'Columbine-style' shooting at a school in South Australia.
The pair aged 16 and 18 had reportedly planned to carry out the attacks at a school in Renmark, in the Riverland region, two hours west of Adelaide.
Police swooped on the pair and foiled their alleged plot just days after finding out about their plan to use firearms and explosives to kill as many people as possible.
Two teenage boys have been charged with planning a 'Columbine-style' (pictured) shooting at a school in South Australia
Des Bray (pictured), the head of major crime in South Australia, said this was as close to a U.S-style school shooting as Australia had ever come
The younger of the pair was charged with solicit to murder, while the 18-year-old was charged with four aggravated counts of threatening to kill.
Des Bray, the head of major crime in South Australia, said this was as close to a U.S-style school shooting as Australia had ever come.?
'There is no doubt in my mind that we've prevented a major catastrophe,' Mr Bray said.
'Police will allege that they intended to cause harm to a large number of people, however this plan was thwarted.
'There is no evidence to show that any other persons were linked with this matter, not did the two individuals have possession of firearms.'?
The pair had allegedly been planning the attack on the school in the small town close to the Victorian border since June.?
More to come?
15 people died when Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold (pictured) opened fire on Columbine High School on April 20, 1999
Most watched News videos
- F***ing joke? Paula Radcliffe's husband on Mo Farah's SPOTY win
- Thousands turn out to see criminals sentenced and executed
- Aerial views of RAF Mildenhall as security lockdown is ended
- Bystander films chaotic scene of the derailed Amtrak train
- Surveillance footage shows moment off-duty officer tracks gunman
- Ashley Jensen seen with her husband at the 2008 Emmy Awards
- Shocking footage shows fire breaking out at Cameron House, Scotland
- Diddy says he's interested in buying the Carolina Panthers
- Police statement after 'horrific' multi-vehicle crash in Birmingham
- Darius Campbell reveals charity water filter that can 'save lives'
- Scene of fatal car crash in Birmingham where at least 6 died
- Restaurant boss stunned after customers send letter with bill
Sorry we are not currently accepting comments on this article.