'They're terrified I might be too persuasive': Milo Yiannopoulos responds to the Greens' appeal to BAN him from Parliament House - as he invites party's 'pea-brained friends' to a debate
- Right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos invited to speak at Parliament House
- Greens leader Richard Di Natale officially requested the invitation be revoked
- Yiannopoulos, 33, vowed the event, scheduled for December 5, will go ahead
- 'I invite the Greens Senators and their pea-brained friends to... debate,' he said
Milo Yiannopoulos has taken a swipe at the Australian Greens after the political party appealed to have his invitation to speak at Parliament House revoked.
The self-proclaimed 'champion of free speech' touched down in Sydney on Wednesday and immediately responded to the controversy. ?
'Bless them, bless their dear hearts. They can't win on merit so they have to do what leftists always do, which is bring out the banhammer,' he told Daily Mail Australia.
'They try to have events closed down and try to have them cancelled because they're terrified I might be too persuasive.'
Milo Yiannopoulos has taken a swipe at the Australian Greens after the political party appealed to have his invitation to speak at Parliament House revoked
The self-proclaimed 'champion of free speech' touched down in Sydney on Wednesday
The 33-year-old provocateur vowed the event, scheduled for December 5, will go ahead. ?
'I will be speaking at Parliament House as planned. I invite the Greens Senators and their pea-brained friends to come out, have some fun, have a lively debate - and be challenged,' he said.
'They can come out and have their ideas tested with somebody smart who they're never going to meet again who might actually teach them something.'?
Yiannopoulos was invited to speak in Canberra as a guest of Liberal Democrats Senator David Leyonjhelm.
Greens leader Richard Di Natale on Tuesday wrote to the Presiding Officers of the House of Representatives and the Senate to have the invitation revoked.?
Yiannopoulos said he was 'flattered' by the attempt to have him banned, but accused the Greens of 'casting out the right of free speech'.
Greens leader Richard Di Natale on Tuesday wrote to the Presiding Officers of the House of Representatives and the Senate to have the invitation revoked
Senator?Di Natale argued 'we should not be granting a forum to someone who makes a living by peddling racist, sexist and abusive views'?
'I just try to describe the world as I see it...wrapped up in good jokes,' he said.
The highly-controversial figure has previously likened feminism to cancer, Islam to AIDS and has spoken out against gay rights and the Black Lives Matter movement - despite being openly homosexual and married to an African American man.?
Yiannopoulos has sold 10,000 tickets for his speaking tour of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, the Gold Coast and Adelaide.
The venues are being kept secret until 24 hours before he appears for the two-hour shows, with Yiannopoulos claiming if he reveals the locations journalists will 'invent' stories about protests.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted Senator?Di Natale for comment.?
Yiannopoulos has sold 10,000 tickets for his speaking tour of Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, the Gold Coast and Adelaide
WHO IS MILO YIANNOPOULOS??
The 33-year-old was raised in Kent, England, and attended Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys in Canterbury
WHERE IS HE FROM?
* The 33-year-old was raised in Kent, England, and attended Simon Langton Grammar School for Boys in Canterbury.
WHAT HAS HE DONE?
* Dropped out of undergraduate courses at the University of Manchester and the University of Cambridge.
* Wrote for the Catholic Herald and covered technology for The Telegraph, before co-founding online technology magazine The Kernel in 2011.
* Appointed technology editor of right-wing US website Breitbart News in 2015, which was formerly led by Steve Bannon, a key strategist for US President Donald Trump's campaign.
WHY IS HE SO CONTROVERSIAL?
* He was banned from Twitter in July 2016 for 'inciting or engaging in the targeted abuse or harassment of others', after allegedly leading a harassment campaign on the site against Ghostbusters actor Leslie Jones.
* In February, video clips came to light in which Yiannopoulos appeared to defend sexual relationships between men and boys as young as 13.?
The remarks prompted publisher Simon & Schuster to cancel his planned book, 'Dangerous'. Yiannopoulos, who said he never intended to suggest sexual abuse of minors is OK, also stood down from Breitbart News.
* He's long made provocative comments about women, transgender people, Muslims and others, with his website having sold such products such as 'Feminism is Cancer' T-shirts and 'Fat Shaming Works' hoodies.
* Some of Yiannopoulos' speaking commitments have incited protests, with one such rally at California State University, Fullerton, late last month turning violent and leading to seven arrests.
WHAT IS HE DOING IN AUSTRALIA?
* Yiannopoulos is doing a national speaking tour, presented by Penthouse magazines, between November 30 and December 7.
* Among his commitments down under is a Q&A event at Parliament House, hosted by Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm. The Greens have demanded he be banned from the event, describing him as 'an individual who has become notorious for his racist, sexist and abusive behaviour'.
* Earlier this week Yiannopoulos criticised Channel 10's The Project and Studio 10 and Channel 9's Today Show for being 'frightened' to debate him, after they allegedly cancelled planned interviews.
Most watched News videos
- Does this video prove everyone knew about Don Burke’s bullying?
- Alison Piotrowski says Don Burke told her she had 'a nice a***'
- Woman claims Don Burke tried to push her onto a bed
- Australia Post worker smashes parcel by throwing it over fence
- Two children critical after horror high-speed crash on a busy road
- Former producer for Don Burke tears up recalling threat
- Milo says that followers of Islam should be 'expelled'
- Shocking moment man is sent flying when driver smashes into him
- Horrific moment Schoolie knocked out cold in sickening attack
- Unfortunate moment half a rotting tree falls on woman's car
- Don Burke says sexual assault claims part of 'witch hunt'
- Don Burke and wife Marea open up on how they met and got married
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.