David Walliams pleads guilty to speeding after being caught twice in six minutes doing up to 99mph on the same eight-mile stretch of road
- David Walliams was driving along the A23 in West Sussex on March 23
- He was recorded driving at 99mph and then at 87mph some six minutes later
- His legal team claimed both offences should be dealt with as the one incident?
- He was fined ￡600 and ordered to pay ￡2,145 in costs and received six points ?
Television star David Walliams has been fined after being caught twice exceeding the limit within six minutes while on the same stretch of road.?
The Little Britain's star attempted to avoid conviction on the second offence after his legal team claimed both events were the same offence.?
Brighton Magistrates' Court ?head that one police officer using a handheld laser gun recorded Walliams passing at 99mph on the A23 near Bolney, West Sussex.?
David Walliams, pictured outside the Merrion Hotel in Dublin last night was fined ￡600, told to pay ￡2,415 in costs and received six penalty points for two speeding offences in March?
Brighton Magistrates Court head Walliams was recorded at 99mph and 87mph on the A23
Six minutes later Walliams was recorded doing 87mph on a section of dual carriageway where the speed limit was 70mph.?
Walliams pleaded guilty to the higher speed by post, but claimed the second detection was part of the same offence.?
Both incidents happened within minutes of each other on March 23.?
Walliams was charged under his real name David Edward Williams. ?
According to The Sun, prosecutor Rosalind Earis told the court: 'The defendant was caught by officers at the side of the road at two areas.
'The speed was at the upper end of the band on each occasion. Clearly, this was a prolonged piece of extremely fast driving.'
Walliams' lawyer Benjamin Waidhofer said: 'He doesn’t want to be punished twice for one wrong. This was a single stretch of road.?On a common sense approach, this is a single road, a single journey.'
Walliams was fined ￡600 and ordered to pay ￡2,415 in legal costs and a ￡60 victim surcharge. He was also handed six penalty points.
Most watched News videos
- Daring commuters pass hills engulfed in flames by Cali wildfires
- Palestinians torch Trump photos in protest against embassy move
- Pot user describes 'scromiting' syndrome Cannabinoid Hyperemesis
- Christine Keeler, ex-showgirl at centre of Profumo scandal, dies
- Met Office: Winds strengthen across UK as Storm Caroline develops
- Davis reveals there is no study for impact of Brexit on economy
- Huge wildfire rages alongside busy Interstate 405 in California
- Matt Lauer spotted leaving Long Island deli without wedding ring
- President Trump slurs speech during Jerusalem address
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- Trump announces he recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
- Australian gamer beats 15-year record for GoldenEye 007