Oxford college rejects plans to introduce gender neutral toilets over fears it would make women uncomfortable
- Somerville College, Oxford rejected proposals to introduce unisex toilets?
- It was claimed both male and female students might feel uncomfortable?
- Others also feared female students might face harassment by male students
- Students would be warned if a facility was 'a gender neutral toilet with urinals' ?
Students at an Oxford college have rejected a move to introduce gender neutral over fears it would make women feel uncomfortable.
Somerville College members voted down a proposal for unisex lavatories, with some saying they feared it could cause more harassment by male students.
Others suggested that both male and female students would feel embarrassed having to share a toilet with the opposite sex.
Students at Somerville College in Oxford have rejected plans to install gender neutral toilets
Students said they may feel uncomfortable using a toilet next to members of the opposite sex
The college’s Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) officer, Eilidh Wilson, had proposed replacing ‘male’ and ‘female’ toilet signs with ‘gender neutral toilet’ and ‘gender neutral toilet with urinals’.
Miss Wilson, a second year philosophy, politics and economics student, said Somerville should recognise ‘non-binary people’ by introducing unisex toilets in the college bar and dining hall, the Telegraph reported.
Campaigns to make toilets unisex have succeeded at several Oxford colleges and other universities.
Scores more gender neutral toilets should be introduced across London, the mayor said yesterday.
Sadiq Khan wants a mass expansion of public lavatories suitable for all users, including the disabled, families and transgender people.?
Most watched News videos
- Daring commuters pass hills engulfed in flames by Cali wildfires
- Palestinians torch Trump photos in protest against embassy move
- Christine Keeler, ex-showgirl at centre of Profumo scandal, dies
- Pot user describes 'scromiting' syndrome Cannabinoid Hyperemesis
- Met Office: Winds strengthen across UK as Storm Caroline develops
- Davis reveals there is no study for impact of Brexit on economy
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- Matt Lauer spotted leaving Long Island deli without wedding ring
- Huge wildfire rages alongside busy Interstate 405 in California
- Trump announces he recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
- Australian gamer beats 15-year record for GoldenEye 007
- President Trump slurs speech during Jerusalem address