EXCLUSIVE: 'Wonderful news': Meghan's extended American family tell of joy at her engagement and say she will cope brilliantly with the spotlight
- Roslyn Markle, 72, the first wife of Meghan's father, commented on the Suits star's royal engagement to Prince Harry
- 'I'm really happy for them and I hope they'll be happy together and have a great life,' she told DailyMail.com from home in Albuquerque, New Mexico?
- Roslyn was married to Thomas Markle between 1968 and 1976 and is the mother of his two eldest children?Samantha Grant, 53, and Thomas Markle Jr, 51
- Asked how she thinks Meghan will cope with the transition from actress to princess, she explained the 36-year-old beauty will 'be just fine' ?
- Her comments come in the wake of an official statement from Meghan's parents released this morning by Kensington Palace
- The couple made their first public appearance since breaking the news on Monday?
Speaking exclusively to DailyMail.com from her home in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Roslyn Markle, the mother of Meghan's half-siblings, said: 'That's absolutely wonderful news.
'I'm really happy for them and I hope they'll be happy together and have a great life.' Of the spring wedding date, Roslyn added: 'That will be so nice.'
Meghan and Harry, 33, announced their engagement this morning, via a statement from Kensington Palace.
Scroll down for video?
Royal Engagement: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle finally announced their engagement after weeks of fevered speculation on Monday. The royal couple made their first public appearance hours after breaking the news in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace
Princess wave: Harry and Meghan were beaming during their first, but brief, public appearance. The wedding is expected to take place in spring 2018, with May considered the likeliest date for the nuptials
And on Monday, the newly-engaged couple made their first official appearance on British TV to talk about their whirlwind 16-month relationship.
Roslyn, 72, was married to Meghan's father Thomas Markle between 1968 and 1976 and is the mother of his two eldest children: Samantha Grant, 53, and Thomas Markle Jr, 51.
Asked how she thinks Meghan will cope with the transition from actress to princess, Roslyn said: 'Meghan is very well educated.
'She's worked in a professional, public life forever. She's been in the TV industry forever. She's very well educated and she's had a lot of exposure to the public.
'She's going to be just fine.'
Roslyn's comments come in the wake of an official statement from Meghan's parents released this morning by Kensington Palace.
In the message, Markle Sr, 73, and Doria Ragland, 61, said: 'We are incredibly happy for Meghan and Harry.
'Our daughter has always been a kind and loving person. To see her union with Harry, who shares the same qualities, is a source of great joy for both parents.
Rosyln Markle (left), 72, the first wife of Thomas Markle (pictured with Meghan right) commented on the couple's big news, and said she is 'really happy for them'
Roslyn was married to Thomas Markle (pictured) between 1968 and 1976 and is the mother of his two eldest children Samantha Grant, 53, and Thomas Markle Jr, 51
'We wish them a lifetime of happiness and are very excited for their future.'
Harry's own family have also spoken of their delight at the news of the engagement, with Prince Charles the first to congratulate his youngest son via a message issued by Clarence House.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also congratulated the happy couple, releasing a short official statement that read:
'We are very excited for Harry and Meghan. It has been wonderful getting to know Meghan and to see how happy she and Harry are together.'
The wedding is expected to take place in spring 2018, with May considered the likeliest date for the nuptials.?
Most watched News videos
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle carry out first royal engagement together
- Newly engaged Harry and Meghan greet crowds in Nottingham
- Meghan politely picks up a glove and returns it to a crowd member
- Touching moment Prince Harry straightens young fan's hat
- Meghan Markle's beloved rescue dogs seen in old Instagram video
- Kate says she is passing on gardening passion to William and Charlotte
- William: 'Hopefully Harry will stay out my fridge now he's engaged'
- Meghan shows off her caring side as she meets shy boy
- Savannah Guthrie reads apology from Matt Lauer on Today
- Matt Lauer seen returning to Hamptons home after Today show axe
- NBC News has fired popular 'Today' show host Matt Lauer
- Megyn Kelly reacts to Matt Lauer firing over 'sex assault'