Trump gets into Twitter fight with Gold Star widow saying he 'spoke his name without hesitation' after she says president couldn't remember her fallen husband's name
- Myeshia Johnson, the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson, appeared Monday on 'Good Morning America' to speak about her fallen soldier husband
- Sgt. Johnson was one of four soldiers killed in an ISIS ambush in Niger this month
- His widow claims that President Donald Trump didn't know her late husband's name when he placed a condolence call to her?
- 'I heard him stumbling on trying to remember my husband's name and that's what hurt me the most,' she said
- Trump fired back minutes later, insisting that he 'spoke his name from beginning, without hesitation!'
- Florida Congresswoman Frederica Wilson heard the call and says he told the grieving?widow that her husband 'knew what he signed up for'
- In her interview, Johnson confirmed Wilson's version of events
Donald Trump is disputing Gold Star widow Myeshia Johnson's account of a phone call they shared shortly after her husband' death in Niger.
'He couldn't remember my husband's name,' she said Monday on ABC's 'Good Morning America' program. 'The only way he remembered my husband's name was because he told me he had my husband's report in front of him, and that's when he actually said "La David".'
'I heard him stumbling on trying to remember my husband's name and that's what hurt me most,' she said.
The president quickly pounced on Twitter.
'I had a very respectful conversation with the widow of Army Specialist Sgt. La David Johnson, and spoke his name from beginning, without hesitation!' he tweeted after the interview ended?
Johnson was among the four soldiers killed in an?ISIS?ambush this month.?
Scroll down for video?
Myeshia Johnson (pictured), the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson, said Monday on Good Morning America that President Donald Trump couldn't remember his late husband's name during a condolence call
Challenge! Trump immediately disputed Mrs Johnson's recollection of events, insisting he was respectful and knew Sgt Johnson's name
Trump tweeted that he had a 'very respectful conversation' and said Sgt. Johnson's name 'without hesitation!'
The president has been in a war of words with Florida Congresswoman Frederica Wilson over the call, after Wilson said in an interview that Trump dismissively told Myeshia Johnson her husband 'knew what he signed up for.'
Wilson is a family friend of the Johnsons, and was in a limousine with the Gold Star widow and her family on the way to the airport to pick up the soldier's body when Trump made the call.
Johnson confirmed Wilson's version of events on Monday.
Sgt. Johnson (pictured) was one of four soldiers killed in an ISIS ambush in Niger earlier this month
'Whatever Ms Wilson said was not fabricated. What she said was 100 per cent correct,' Johnson said. 'The phone was on speakerphone. Why would we fabricate something like that?'?
Johnson said her aunt, her uncle, a master sergeant and Wilson were with her in the car when Trump called the master sergeant .
The call came as they pulled onto the tarmac at Dover Dover Air Force Base to pick up Sgt. Johnson's body, his widow said.
Johnson said she asked the master sergeant to put the phone on speakerphone so that everyone in the car could hear Trump.?
'The president said "He knew what he signed up for, but it hurts anyway",' Johnson recalled.
'It made me cry because I was very angry at the tone of his voice and how he said it.?
'He couldn't remember my husband's name. The only way he remembered my husband's name was because he told me he had my husband's report in front of him, and that's when he actually said "La David."
'I heard him stumbling on trying to remember my husband's name and that's what hurt me most.?Because if my husband is out here fighting for our country and he risks his life for our country, why can't you remember his name? And that's what made me upset and cry more,' she added.?
Johnson is pictured moments after her call with President Trump, when she greeted her husband's casket at Dover Air Force Base on October 17
Johnson kisses her husband's casket at his burial service on Saturday in Hollywood, Florida?
Johnson is seen above at her husband's burial service this weekend with their two-year-old son and six-year-old daughter?
Johnson was so stunned by the call, she claimed, that she didn't respond to the president.
She says she left the call feeling even worse than before.?
Johnson said she was ?'very, very upset' after the call and that it 'made me cry even worse.'
In the interview, Johnson also demanded answers for what happened to her husband, and why she hasn't been allowed to look at his body yet.?
Johnson says the Army first told her that her husband went missing on October 4 after coming under a 'mass of gunfire'.
They returned a few days later and said that he had been killed in action, but didn't go into further detail.
'I don't know how he got killed, where he got killed or anything. I don't know that part they never told me and that's what I've been trying to find out since day one,' she said.
Johnson, left, was led into the burial service by a master sergeant. Her baby bump is full visible. She's expecting a baby girl in January?
Florida Congresswoman Frederica Wilson (pictured October 18), who was in the car with Johnson when she received the call from Trump, was the first person to describe his statements, which many deemed insensitive?
She also says Army officials haven't allowed her to look at her husband's body.
'They tell me that he's in a severe wrap, that I won't be able to see him,' Johnson said.
'They won't show me a finger, a hand. I know my husband's body from head to toe and they won't let me see anything. I don't know what's in that box it could be empty for all I know,' she added.?
Johnson says she's going to 'keep pushing' for answers.
Meanwhile, she says she's speaking out to let he world know 'how great a soldier' her husband was, as well as what a 'loving and caring father and husband he was to our family'.?
The couple met when they were just six years old, and have two children together - a two-year-old son and a six-year-old daughter. The couple's third child, a daughter, is due in January.?
When asked how she's going to teach her daughter about her father, Johnson said this:
'I'm gonna tell her how awesome her dad was and how great a father he was and how he died as a hero.'
Most watched News videos
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Horrifying moment dashcam shows lorry ploughing into two cars
- Meghan chats to a Suits fan about the show on first engagement
- Moment thrill seeking base jumpers leap from 530ft Beachy Head
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Nigel Farage defends Donald Trump retweeting Britain First
- Royal fashion: Meghan Markle sparkles on Nottingham visit
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- Prison for immigration violator who attacked women
- Cops find missing Florida teen after disappearing with her coach
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
- Surveillance video shows Palm Beach cop shoot his ex-girlfriend