Hobbled Giants star Odell Beckham Jr. appears in public for the first time - with a walking boot and crutches - after gruesome ankle injury
- The 24-year-old All-Pro felt well enough to drive himself to physical therapy?
- Beckham suffered a season-ending ankle injury during the Giants' Week 5 loss
- The LSU product has vowed to return 'better than ever'
- Giants are just 1-5 and have suffered three significant injuries at wide receiver
For the first time since he suffered a horrific ankle injury in Week 5, New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was seen publicly on Tuesday.
The 24-year-old All-Pro was sporting a pair of crutches and a protective boot on his left leg before driving himself to what is believed to have been a physical therapy appointment.?
Beckham originally suffered the season-ending ankle injury during the Giants' loss to the Los Angeles Chargers on October 8.
Giants star Odell Beckham Jr. seen for the first time since his horrific ankle injury
The 24-year-old Beckham left his house with crutches and a large cast boot on his left leg and even hopped in the drivers seat to drive himself to a physical therapy session
Beckham wrote to fans on Instagram following his successful surgery on October 10: 'Thank u all for your prayers. You better believe I'll be back better than ever. God Speed'
Winless heading into the game, New York held a 22-20 lead with four minutes left in the game, when the 24-year-old Beckham attempted to make a catch across the middle of the field.
Beckham landed awkwardly under Chargers cornerback Casey Howard and snapped his ankle, leaving the Giants particularly thin at wide receiver. Veteran Brandon Marshall suffered his own season-ending ankle injury in Week 5 and second-year receiver Sterling Shepard has been dealing with an ankle sprain of his own. Fellow wideout and kick returner Dwayne Harris is also out for the year with a broken foot.
'Man, I've never seen anything like it,' Shepard said after the loss. 'Especially from just one unit, it was like one guy after another coming into the training room. I was actually going to go pick up my medicine and I heard about Odell [Beckham Jr.] and that one, they all crushed me, but to end it all off and have him out, it's crazy to see.'
Odell Beckham warms up prior to the Giants' Week 5 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers
At the time of Beckham's injury, Giants captain Eli Manning could be seen grimacing as the crying LSU product was carted off the field.
With Beckham out, Manning then fumbled the ball in Giants territory, which ultimately led to Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers' game-winning pass to Melvin Gordon with less than three minutes to play.
Prior to his injury, Beckham had five catches for 97 yards and a touchdown in the game.
Despite the depleted receiver corps, the Giants did crack into the win column on Monday with a 23-10 win over the Broncos in Denver.
Beckham wrote to fans on Instagram following his successful surgery on October 10: 'Thank u all for your prayers. You better believe I'll be back better than ever. God Speed.'
New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham reacts while being carted off the field after an injury during the second half of an NFL football game against the Los Angeles Chargers
Beckham is helped off the ground and onto a cart after landing awkwardly in Week 5
Giants quarterback Eli Manning (No. 10) looks on as Beckham is carted off the field?
Agony: Eli Manning (second from left) looks furious as Beckham Jr (right) is taken away. The Giants lost the game 27-22 after their star player was taken for ankle surgery
Most watched News videos
- Daring commuters pass hills engulfed in flames by Cali wildfires
- President Trump slurs speech during Jerusalem address
- Man rescues rabbit amidst intensifying flames from LA wildfire
- 'Home's South London mate' Sadiq Khan's retort to BBC reporter
- Huge wildfire rages alongside busy Interstate 405 in California
- Motorcyclist chased by driver before being mown down and killed
- Met Office: Winds strengthen across UK as Storm Caroline develops
- Matt Lauer spotted leaving Long Island deli without wedding ring
- Trump announces he recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
- Palestinians torch Trump photos in protest against embassy move
- Moment Charlie Pearce hides behind a car to avoid a police car
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery