NFL stars Odell Beckham Jr and JJ Watt are DONE for the season after suffering brutal injuries in Week 5
- New York Giants said Beckham will have season-ending ankle surgery this week
- Houston Texans announced Watt suffered a tibial plateau fracture in his left leg
- A former NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Watt missed 13 of 16 games for the Texans last season after undergoing two back surgeries in 2016
- Watt: 'I can't sugarcoat it, I am devastated. All I want to do is be out there on that field for my teammates and this city. I'm sorry'?
- The Teans fell to 2-3 with the 42-34 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday ?
- The Giants lost three other wideouts and fell to 0-5 with the 27-22 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers ?on Sunday
- Beckham could be seen crying as he was carted off in the fourth quarter ?
The Houston Texans declared defensive end J.J. Watt out for the year with a fractured tibial plateau in his left leg
Two of the NFL's biggest stars, Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt and New York Giants wideout Odell Beckham Jr. saw their respective seasons come to an end on Sunday.
The Giants announced Monday that Beckham's fractured left ankle would require season-ending surgery this week, while the Texans declared Watt out for the year with a tibial plateau fracture in his left leg. Watt played in only three games in 2016 before a pair of back surgeries ended his season.?
'I can't sugarcoat it, I am devastated,' the 28-year-old Watt wrote in a Tweet?early Monday morning.?'All I want to do is be out there on that field for my teammates and this city. I'm sorry.'
The winless Giants were also reeling on Monday. ?
'I spoke to [Beckham] after the game,' Giants coach Ben McAdoo said Monday during a conference call with reporters. 'It's a sad situation.'
Scroll down for video?
Fallen giant:?Odell Beckham Jr is seen here being taken off the field after a late-game fractured ankle. He was the fourth receiver to be taken off the field in Sunday's disastrous game
Painful: Beckham Jr can be seen here getting his ankle caught in the legs of Casey Howard. Giants receivers Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard and Dwayne Harris were also taken off
Watt was injured on the Texans' opening drive, Sunday, while being engaged by a blocker. After being helped off the field, the former NFL Defensive Player of the Year was examined along the sideline before being taken to the hospital.
The Texans ultimately lost to the Chiefs, 42-34, dropping their record to 2-3 on the year. ?
But whereas the Texans' loss started on the wrong foot Sunday, the Giants built an early 9-0 lead against the Chargers in Los Angeles, and seemed poised for their first win of the year when leading 22-20 with four minutes to play in the fourth quarter.??
That all changed when Beckham, 24, attempted to make a catch across the middle of the field while being defended by Chargers?cornerback Casey Howard.
Beckham landed awkwardly underneath Howard and snapped his ankle, leaving his team - already short-staffed after losing three other receivers earlier in the game - to suffer its fifth straight defeat. Giants wideouts Brandon Marshall and Sterling Shepard both hurt their ankles in the second quarter and Dwayne Harris fractured his foot in the third.??
J.J. Watt apologized the city of Houston and his teammates early Monday morning
After being helped to the sideline, Watt was carted off the field and taken to a local hospital?
Watt injured his left leg during the Texans' first defensive series of Sunday's loss to the Chiefs
Captain Eli Manning could be seen grimacing as a crying Beckham was carted off the field.
With Beckham out, Manning then fumbled the ball in Giants territory, which ultimately led to Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers' game-winning pass to?Melvin Gordon with less than three minutes to play.??
Prior to his injury, Beckham had five catches for 97 yards and a touchdown. ?
The 0-5 Giants also saw defensive captain Jonathan Casillas and cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie suffer injuries on Sunday.?
Texans linebacker Whitney Mercilus injured his chest in the first quarter on Sunday and was also declared out for the season on Monday.
'It hurts, big blow to the team,' Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Monday. 'A lot of our game plan is around them. There's a lot of season left. We still got some playmakers out there.'?
Already a popular player in Houston, Watt further endeared himself to Texans fans after helping to raise over $30 million in relief funds for victims of Hurricane Harvey.?
Agony: Eli Manning (second from left) looks furious as Beckham Jr (right) is taken away. The Giants lost the game 27-22 after their star player was taken for ankle surgery
Most watched News videos
- President Trump slurs speech during Jerusalem address
- Man rescues rabbit amidst intensifying flames from LA wildfire
- 'Home's South London mate' Sadiq Khan's retort to BBC reporter
- Daring commuters pass hills engulfed in flames by Cali wildfires
- ISIS fighters scream in panic before being blown up in Syria
- Motorcyclist chased by driver before being mown down and killed
- Moment Charlie Pearce hides behind a car to avoid a police car
- Huge wildfire rages alongside busy Interstate 405 in California
- Met Office: Winds strengthen across UK as Storm Caroline develops
- Sarah Sanders: Trump slurred words because his 'throat was dry'
- Palestinians protest US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel capital
- Moment MP Grayling STRUGGLES to cope with BBC grilling on Brexit