Will the Budget help you (or anyone)? Listen to the This is Money podcast
It was billed as a make or break Budget, so did the Chancellor pitch it right?
Philip Hammond pulled a George Osborne-sized rabbit from the hat at the end with the abolition of stamp duty for first-time buyers, but was that enough to make us to forget the gloomy economic news and the gags?
On the plus side, the Budget brought an income tax cut for most, the promise of more homes being built, and no more stamp duty for most first-time buyers.
On the negative side, economists say we are due another lost decade, Philip Hammond’s own financial watchdog said he would drive up house prices, and cough sweet jokes might be catching on.
In this week’s podcast, Simon Lambert, Rachel Rickard Straus and Georgie Frost pick apart the Budget to try to find out who the winners and losers will be.
From an up to ￡5,000 tax saving on a first home, to railcards for the under-30s, zero mentions of the word saver, and whether Just Eat can really solve the productivity puzzle, they round-up what you need to know.
Plus, what exactly was Simon’s stamp duty idea that drew 296 reader comments – of which about 295 were calling him an idiot? Listen to the podcast to find out.?
A stamp duty cut, some jokes and a gloomy economic forecast: Did the Chancellor do a good job with the Budget? We discuss it on the podcast
How to listen to the This is Money podcast
We publish our podcast every Friday to the player on This is Money, above, and on Apple Podcasts (iTunes) and on the podcast platforms Audioboom and Acast, both of which allow you to listen on desktop, mobile, or download an app.
To download the Apple Podcasts app if you do not already have it, go to the App store. Or go to either the Apple App store or the Google Play store on Android to download the Acast app or the AudioBoom app.
Press play to listen to this week's full episode on the player above, or listen (and please subscribe if you like the podcast) at?iTunes, Acast and Audioboom?or visit our This is Money Podcast page.???
Most watched Money videos
- Big Money Questions show: What is a dividend?
- Exciting preview displays the Lamborghini Urus at high speed
- How to invest a pension pot in retirement
- Watch the evolution of the Range Rover model from 1969 to 2018
- Lars Kroijer: You can't beat the market, so invest passively
- Award winning 412GW Next Base dash cam records in 1440p resolution
- Life hack: Save money by installing foil behind your radiators
- Buy banks, not beer: How to invest for higher inflation
- Big Money Questions:Will economists foresee the next crisis?
- Big Money Questions: Can you live well for cheap?
- How to invest like Warren Buffett in the UK
- SEAT's new smart car featuring protection against drunk driving