Want haute cuisine? Head to Japan or CHINA as prestigious list of world's best restaurants reveals the countries have more top eateries than anywhere else
- Japan has highest number of top restaurants in the word, says France's La Liste
- China is close behind with 123 out of 1,000 of the world's best eateries?
- However the 'best' restaurant in the world is still in France, according to the list?
France used to be the epicentre of the fine dining scene - but not anymore.
Though a restaurant in France tops the list, Japan has the most eateries in the top 1,000 with 138, while China is close behind with 123, according to La Liste.
A selection of top-quality sushi at Kyubey, officially Japan's best restaurant, according to La Liste
Jorg Zipprick, who compiled the list, told AFP: 'The rise and rise of China is the big story.
'Asia has a lot more restaurants than Europe and it is only logical that La Liste will reflect that.'
Jorg set up La Liste three years ago, supposedly as a 'more scientific and reliable' rival to the British list of the world's 50 Best Restaurants.
It puts Guy Savoy's eponymous Paris restaurant at the top of the rankings for the second consecutive year, followed by?Le Bernardin in New York.
A plate of fish and sushi at the tiny Kyo Aji restaurant in Tokyo, one of the world's best restaurants
The top rated restaurant in China is Huai Yang Fu at Andingmen in Beijing
But in third place is Tokyo's Kyubey, often hailed as the best sushi restaurant in the Japanese capital.
Two other Japanese restaurants make the top 20: sushi restaurant Kyo Aji and a French restaurant run by chef Joel Robuchon.
The highest placed Chinese restaurant in the top 20 is Huai Yang Fu at Andingmen in Beijing, where a speciality pork dish was a favourite of Chairman Mao.
The United States follows Japan and China with the next highest number of restaurants while Switzerland has the biggest number per capita, with 38 top eateries and a population of just 8 million.?
The rankings will be officially published following a banquet in Paris on Monday to celebrate the winners.
Most watched News videos
- Heartbreaking footage shows helpless puppies rescued from tar
- Moment thrill seeking base jumpers leap from 530ft Beachy Head
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Horrifying moment dashcam shows lorry ploughing into two cars
- Hospital video: North Korean defector undergoes life-saving surgery
- Knife-wielding moped robbers raid building on Fleet Street
- Nigel Farage defends Donald Trump retweeting Britain First
- 'Hypocrite' Nigel Farage refuses to hand back ￡73,000 EU pension
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
- Heroic neighbours rescue woman after attack by two dogs