'Losing weight is not something I was even trying to do': Lady Bird actress Beanie Feldstein wants people to STOP complimenting her smaller figure, as she admits it 'messed with her head'
- Beanie, 24,?has admittedly lost weight while dancing alongside Bette Midler in the Broadway musical Hello, Dolly! eight days a week
- The actress explained that she struggled with her weight her entire life, and she didn't become truly comfortable with her body until college
- Beanie, whose brother is actor Jonah Hill, said that when everyone told her she looked smaller, she lost the 'beautiful mindset that took decades to find'
- The rising star stressed that she wasn't trying to lose weight, she only dropped a dress size or two as a result of her rigorous dancing schedule?
Beanie Feldstein may have shed a dress size or two, but the actress wants people to stop complimenting her on her weight loss.
The 24-year-old Lady Bird star has admittedly lost weight while dancing alongside Bette Midler in the Broadway musical Hello, Dolly! eight days a week, but she noted that the comments about her getting smaller really 'messed with [her] head.'?
'I imagine those that have been telling me that I look thin think they are being kind. This is because our society has determined that being smaller is better,' she wrote in an essay published by Refinery29.???
Request: Actress?Beanie Feldstein has asked people to stop complimenting her on her weight loss after she dropped a dress size or two. She is pictured in May 2016 (L) and this month (R)
Breakout role: The 24-year-old (R) stars alongside?Saoirse Ronan (L) in Lady Bird, a new film written and directed by Greta Gerwig?
'The act of getting smaller is considered an achievement, and therefore they feel subliminal permission to comment on it,' she explained.
Beanie, whose older brother is actor Jonah Hill, said that her family, friends, and even her therapist have brought up her weight loss in recent months, telling her she is 'tiny' and 'disappearing.'?
However, these types of 'compliments' aren't ones that she wants to hear.
'Losing weight is not something I was even trying to do,' Beanie said.?
Center of attention: Beanie said friends and family started commenting on her weight loss when she visited Los Angeles last month. She is pictured on October 8 (L) and October 30 (R)
Workout: The actress? lost weight while dancing alongside Bette Midler in the Broadway musical Hello, Dolly! The cast of the show is pictured at a Halloween event last month
The rising star admitted that she struggled with her weight throughout her adolescence. She recalled how her family, doctors, and society at large were constantly telling her that she was 'too heavy' and that she 'should be smaller.'
She was made to join weight loss programs such as Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig even though she hated trying to lose weight.?
As she neared the end of high school, Beanie gave up trying to eat and look they way that others wanted her to, and by the time she was a student at Wesleyan University, she 'felt truly comfortable' with her body.?
Beanie said that she rarely thought about her body image when she in college and felt comfortable with her 'unwavering chubbiness,' while her thin friends were constantly plagued by being unable to meet society's unattainable ideals.???
Journey: Beanie, who is pictured in 2015, explained that she struggled with her weight her entire life, and she didn't become truly comfortable with her body until college
Famous family: Beanie's older brother is actor Jonah Hill. They are pictured together in 2016?
Even her brother Jonah's weight has become public fodder over the years, as he has been known to gain an lose weight for roles.???
But because Beanie's body stayed the same, people didn't have anything to say. However, that all changed for Beanie when she returned to Los Angeles last month to visit her family during her vacation from Hello, Dolly!?
'When everyone started telling me I looked smaller, I lost my beautiful mindset that took decades to find,' she said, pointing out that the only reason she is thinner is because she is constantly dancing as part of her Broadway role.?
'Here’s my simple request: Please stop complimenting me! A person's body changing is simply not clearance for you to talk about it,' she said.
Most watched News videos
- Matt Lauer seen returning to Hamptons home after Today show axe
- Victoria's Secret models say n-word during Cardi B singalong
- Royal fashion: Meghan Markle sparkles on Nottingham visit
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle carry out first royal engagement together
- Meghan politely picks up a glove and returns it to a crowd member
- Newly engaged Harry and Meghan greet crowds in Nottingham
- Meghan shows off her caring side as she meets shy boy
- Touching moment Prince Harry straightens young fan's hat
- Meghan chats to a Suits fan about the show on first engagement
- Fan gives Meghan Markle a bag of Haribo on her first royal event
- Surveillance video shows Palm Beach cop shoot his ex-girlfriend
- Prince Harry asked how it feels to be with Meghan 'as a ginger'
The comments below have been moderated in advance.
The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.
By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.