What a role reversal! Nicki Minaj plays the part of a frumpy mother alongside Grey's Anatomy star Jesse Williams - before transforming into a very festive fairy - for H&M's holiday campaign
- The video was filmed by photographer Tim Walker and director Johan Renck
- Playing mom and dad, Minaj and Williams appear alongside an unnamed daughter who acts as a superhero in the commercial
- Williams is tasked with reading his daughter a story before bedtime and casts his daughter as a heroine who must save Christmas
- In the story, the little has to hunt down Santa's evil brother, played by John Turturro, who has stolen all the Christmas presents
Nicki Minaj is no stranger to weird and wonderful ensembles - but her latest starring role sees her taking on a rather more reserved role: a dowdy wife and mother.?
The 34-year-old rapper stars alongside Grey's Anatomy actor Jesse Williams in H&M's holiday campaign, with the duo portraying both a married couple - and some very over-the-top festive fairies.?
In the video, the two start off, as many married couples might, getting their daughter ready for bed; as she is unable to sleep, demanding that she be read a bedtime story, Minaj instructs Williams to undertake the task.?
Family values: Nicki Minaj and Grey's Anatomy actor Jesse Williams star in H&M's new holiday ad as a rather dowdy mom and dad
Pared back: The ad begins with a very natural looking Nicki telling her on-screen husband to read their daughter a bedtime story
Super dad: Jesse quickly steps up to the role, but instead of reading from a book, he decides to create his own tale about Santa having an evil brother
Bad Santa: He also invents a superhero girl who must save Christmas by stopping Santa's brother from stealing all the presents?
But instead of reading from a book, the crafty dad decides to make up his own holiday-themed tale.
Casting his on-screen daughter as a mini superhero, in the story, the little girl must hunt down Santa's evil brother,played by John Turturro, who has stolen all the Christmas presents.
Williams begins the story by saying: 'Once upon a time, there was a girl who had a chemistry box, and one day she happened to create a tiny black hole, a hole that plunged her into a parallel universe.'?
Transporting her to a mythical land, the girl is initially told that in this universe everyone lived in horror of 'evil Father Christmas', however, he soon changes his story to cast Santa's brother as the baddie after his daughter tells him, 'dad, Father Christmas isn't evil'.?
Once this detail has been ironed out, Williams informs her that the superhero must navigate her way through an almost desolate looking landscape, to find Santa's sibling and 'teach him how to be kind'.?
Explaining that she couldn't get any help because everyone was so scared of him, he tells her that 'hero girl' decides to find the wisest 'thingy', played by Minaj, who looks more like her usual self, decked out in yards of tulle and embellishment.?
Feeling herself: Nicki also appears as a 'thingy' in the ad and looks more like her usual self, decked out in yards of tulle and embellishment?
That's more like it! Nicki clearly relished the role of the fairy, looking incredibly cool and confident in the stunning ensemble
Saucy: The low-cut dress is much more similar to Nicki's normal provocative style
The fast and the furious: Jesse also appears in the 'parallel universe' as 'the fastest fairy'
Unable to get any information, the girl then goes to find 'the fastest fairy', played by Williams, but he can't help either.?
Alone and at a loss, Williams then tells his on-screen daughter that the girl 'found the address anyway' by using the Internet.?
There the girl is also offered his browser history, highlighting the perils of living in a digital age, however she declines and then jumps on a bus to hunt down her target.?
Once she arrives at her destination, the commercial shows the girl entering the 'lair' of the evil brother, which is described as smelling 'funny'.?
However, she is able to summons all her bravery and strength to give Santa's naughty brother 'a scolding', insuring he will never steal another present again.?
The advert ends with the superhero girl donating all her presents to the children in the parallel universe, via the black hole in her bedroom, and Williams explaining that 'she was just doing her thing, caring about others'.?
It ends with the words 'Happy Giving' popping up on the screen. ?
Most watched News videos
- Soldier surprises his 76ers dancer by returning from deployment
- VERY relaxed wombat finds the perfect place to cool down
- Earl Kimrey charged with the death of 3-year-old Mariah Miller
- Trump ‘not worried’ about Michael Flynn’s guilty Russia plea
- Disturbing video shows teen hurling a cat into the street
- Busted! Package thief caught after her getaway driver flees
- Everyone is trying the latest trend: Invisible box challenge!
- New invisible box jump trend takes Twitter by storm
- Sir Elton on stage in Barcelona just hours before his mother died
- The Grinch! Woman takes Christmas decorations from Texas porch
- Video shows the last time Julia Jacobson was seen alive
- Legal expert says Michael Flynn's guilty plea causes a domino effect