'A lot of people want my job!' The One Show's Alex Jones admits she feared being side-lined after giving birth - despite taking just THREE months of maternity leave
- The One Show presenter, 40, gave birth to first child Teddy in January this year?
- Alex has revealed she was worried she'd be replaced while on maternity leave
- She decided to take just three months off to ensure she didn't miss career 'peak'
- Credits husband Charlie Thomson for supporting her through return to career
Fronting one of the most popular shows on UK television has made Alex Jones a household name.
However, the 40-year-old has revealed that she was worried she'd be sidelined after taking three months of maternity leave earlier this year.
The Welsh presenter gave birth to her first child Teddy in January and admits she had big reservations about taking a long period off work after becoming a mother.?
Anxiety: Alex Jones, 40, gave birth to her first child, Teddy, in January and took just three months' maternity leave, fearing she was stepping away from her career at its 'peak'
The Welsh television presenter said she was aware that her job was much coveted but decided to make a gradual return - doing just two day a week at the beginning
Speaking to the Mirror, the Welsh beauty said she knew that 'a lot of other people' would want her job.
Alex says she took just three months off after she gave birth to Teddy in January this year because she didn't want to miss out on being at the 'peak' of her career.?
However, the star, who is married to insurance broker Charlie Thomson, said she was 'naive' for thinking she could go back that soon and ended up working just two days a week to settle back in.?
She explained: 'As much as I was really excited about having a baby, I was worried about going on maternity, because I love and respect my job and know it's one a lot of other people would like to do.'
Alex, who joined The One Show in 2010, says she didn't watch the show when she was off, but her co-host Matt Baker would keep her updated when he came to visit her and the baby.
Updates: Alex hosts The One Show with Matt Baker, who, she says, would visit her while she was on maternity leave to keep her abreast of what was happening at the BBC
'Naive': Alex says she believed she would only need three months' maternity - but now says she was 'naive' for only taking a short time off
Alex says having Teddy has strengthened her relationship with Charlie, who is originally from New Zealand.
She said: 'You become a team and it strengthens your relationship. You have to rely on each other, especially because we're both working. I couldn't do it without Charlie.'
She recently opened up about her struggle to accept her post-body body, joking that new mums look like 'melted ice cream' underneath their clothes.
Alex told OK!: 'When I went back to work, my clothes didn't fit. It was really hard trying on one thing after the other and nothing looking quite the same.
Alex said having a baby has brought her closer to husband Charlie Thomson, revealing that it 'strengthened' their relationship
The new mum said she initially felt self conscious of her post baby body but has come to accept her new figure
She says looking 'wobbly and tired' is a 'badge of honour' as a new parent
'Your bone structure and shape changes too and no amount of dieting will fix that.'
The TV personality also discussed her experience of motherhood in an interview with The Daily Mail's You magazine.
She said: 'I don't look the same as I did but I'm all right about that – life isn't just about me any more.
'I don't care if I'm a bit wobbly or look more tired, because it's all part of the fun of being a parent; it's a badge of honour.'?
Most watched News videos
- Daring commuters pass hills engulfed in flames by Cali wildfires
- President Trump slurs speech during Jerusalem address
- Man rescues rabbit amidst intensifying flames from LA wildfire
- 'Home's South London mate' Sadiq Khan's retort to BBC reporter
- Huge wildfire rages alongside busy Interstate 405 in California
- Motorcyclist chased by driver before being mown down and killed
- Met Office: Winds strengthen across UK as Storm Caroline develops
- Matt Lauer spotted leaving Long Island deli without wedding ring
- Trump announces he recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
- Moment Charlie Pearce hides behind a car to avoid a police car
- Palestinians torch Trump photos in protest against embassy move
- Palestinians protest US recognition of Jerusalem as Israel capital